Crossing climbing line with rigging! -warning

treegongfu

TreeHouser
I should know better but I was careless today.

I was about 60 feet up an ash doing a removal and allowed the rigging to run over my climbing line.

It burnt it nearly in half.

I am aware that I shldnt have let this happen but this scare will make me more careful.

I post this in case anyone can benefit from my mistake and avoid endangering themselves

Attachments

• 2014-09-25 21.56.57.jpg
    2014-09-25 21.56.57.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Limbrat. The climbing line was topped out at the second crotch so my weight was on the lanyard. As well as showing me the dangers of having running rigging cross the climbing line it reinforced the need for always having the double tie-in, which I often don't do.

Yes Limbrat. The climbing line was topped out at the second crotch so my weight was on the lanyard. As well as showing me the dangers of having running rigging cross the climbing line it reinforced the need for always having the double tie-in, which I often don't do.

The older I get the more I double tie in. (So I continue to get older!)
Thanks for sharing.

Wow, second tie-in saved yer a$$!
Thanks for posting that, nothing better than a picture of the real thing, glad you are ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm somewhat slow and despite having heard second hand from this sight and perhaps from reading from Mr. Beranek's book, seeing it has been more convincing.

Been there done that Sean.. Major oops on my part while self lowering.
Cable core can save your bacon.

Kids can too.. My thoughts of them everyday keeps me more conscience and safe in my work practices.

True. I used to carry a pink water bottle at State Parks, as a reminder, one drink of water at a time

I guess I should be long dead, then.
Must be the though of the poor lonesome Sam dog, that keeps me vigilant:lol:

Joking aside, I've known two people who quit climbing after getting kids, for that same reason.
The only person I've ever had to "rescue" out of a tree, told me later, that all the hours he spent up here, frozen in panic, he kept thinking of his little new daughter who was about to lose her father.
The reason for these " " was that I didn't actually go up and fetch him , but opted for the speedier solution of starting to fall the tree he was sitting in.
I think I told that story before.

How far through the backcut did you get?

Iv had a lowering rope burn through the tail of my climbing line, way down the tree out of sight under some Ivy. Newish rope too, pretty pissed off. Also had to reroute ropes at the last possible moment, always pays to make one last check before you start cutting, quickly run through the proposed sequence of events post severance, especially on the more complicated setups.

I'll tell it again, what the heck, it is a good story.
It was back in the days when we climbed and cut branches for x-mas decorations.
Big export item.
All free climbing, back then.
A fellow worker climbed a skinny Norman fir, it got hit by a strong gust of wind, he panicked and froze up there.
I tried to talk him down a couple of times during the day, but he wasn't having any of the " just let go of the branch" stuff, I was telling him.
He was doing "the panda" in the worst way.
So come quitting time, I told him I'd fall the tree to get him down, and that I'd try to roll it off another one near it, to make the landing softer.
I fired up the saw, but half way through the face cut, he came down.
I think it was the detail about rolling it off a neighbour tree that convinced him, that I was actually going to do it.
Anyway, his climbing career ended that day.

I hope you guys know me well enough to realize,that I would never have gone through with it.
The guy in the yree didn't, fortunately.
Since all the work was done freeclimbing, there wasn't a rope and harness around, so my plan B was to go home, get my gear, come back and tie a rope on him, then knock him out cold and lower him.
Faking him out with a saw was kinder.

Back