The Logging Thread

They are also buying enormous quantities of pulp, for some reason. The pulp mills have really suffered with the decreasing use of paper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are going home empty anyway, so they might as well bring something. I just just shudder at the thought of hauling poplar out of the woods, never mind trying to haul it around the world and make furniture out of it.

I got out in the woods today. It's warming up a little, traction is getting sketchy in some spots. I've got a few more sticks to take where I'm cutting now, then I've got to figure out how to move onto the other spot. The woods are pretty tight, and I have no winch. This is where the good stuff is, too. I'm pulling 30' butt logs that are clear all the way up. There are a few 30"+ DBH logs in the new part that would make at least a 50' timber. Going to go drool on them again tomorrow.:/:

Geeze, sounds like good timber, dave.

We are done for a little while. Last week was muddy, the forester never came and marked anymore trees. Worked out as my first boss called me needing a hand ona farm pruning apples for two to three weeks. Nice change of pace, getting me back into pruning instead of killing, i even pruned three of my trees after work today. :)

Yeah, there are a few nice sticks, but I don't have any orders for them right now. I'm probably going to take them, if I can find a way, and make a boat load of wide flooring, up to about 26", I'm hoping.

I made fir flooring for my tack room in varying widths that size and wider, narrower too. Edged it square and laid varying widths. Rough cut. It's not pretty and wasn't meant to be. But it's cool to me because it's from two real big firs I fell then hauled home as logs and milled myself and finally turned them into something useful.

Satisfying.

Nice pics, Stig.

Oldirish, yes get some pics of that sweet CAT machinery at work!

Played around in the log yard today. Got some stuff bucked and piled. There are two more piles of rough or top junk logs I didn't take shots of. Hoping it's going to get colder so I can get back in the woods. I'm only about a third done with what I want to take from next door.

Getting some nice long stuff for the 28' timbers I have to provide for a workshop.

20140315_163950.jpg

Some nice short stuff. A couple of plank logs in that pile, but most of them are pretty nice to just about clear.

20140315_164324.jpg

A total cobjob Spencer tape repair. You can't see it inside the rubber sleeve, but I folded the broken end around the chain link and drilled and riveted it. Calibrated the cable and trimmed to length.:lol:

20140315_163933.jpg

I was thinking about your scarf joints when I was posting that earlier.:/: How big are your plates? In preview, I could barely read the dimensions, but it looks like they are 8"x11"x32'. They are only $469.33 each.:lol:

Starting a hundred plus Pine removal job tomorrow, myself and two other blokes. It has pretty much turned out to be my job. Kind of a confined space with a lot of tall trees where a house will be built. Leaving the brush on the outskirts of the property, fortunately. Neighboring property a concern as well. A bit apprehensive about coordinating everything, the falling order so that things go smoothly and the logs can be moved to a proper place next to the road where they won't interfere and can be picked up. Likely best to do everything in well thought out stages. It's going to require some thinking. Some butterflies, but once it starts it should go ok....I hope.

A few, less than before, Dave. Importing wood for construction has become more cost effective than using domestic, in a lot of cases. High labor costs here. There is a big auction yard, however, where most logs of almost any species can go. Set your own price or they will for you . I'm not registered with them, but i can go through a friend. I should take some pics, the place goes on and on with logs to the horizon. Lots of activity, comings and goings. You can see what is being cut by a myriad of outfits, and sometimes some real surprises with enormous trees that show up. Generally speaking with Pine, at least you know you can get chip logs prices, pay for the transport plus some. I have also purchased a few logs there to get milled for my own uses.

I think it could swat your ass pretty hard when rolling up.

I'm more worried about sitting on it when I get on the skidder.:lol: I've sat on that Bailey's nail a couple of times. It doesn't recoil too fast, I probably don't have it wound too tight.

And, in the there's never a dull moment in the woods category:

20140316_144120.jpg

Dang!

Dave, the same thing happened on the jd i run!. The cap that screws onto the cylinder to hold the seal in was welded, twice. Both times there was loads of porosity in the welds. Both happened when i was on it, figures. Its been welded a third time and i think its finally going to last. :lol:

Thats brutal, ed.

Wow! Pressure relief not set right?

I spent all afternoon to get two stick half way home.:whine: Butt log is still in the woods. The biggest one so far, about 28" DBH and 25' long. Going to be two 12's for wide pine flooring. I was as mired as I've ever been and not stuck. Going to have to go back with the backhoe and smooth things over later.:/:

Wow Ed, I've never seen that before. Was something stuck under the rod maybe? That's incredible, uh, to me, but you know how easy it is to amaze me...:/:

It was entirely my fault. I have the ram mounted too low and the quickhitch takes it too far forward. A moments innatention and thats the result...

Did you feel any resistance or sign it was happening?

Power is an amazing thing.

Back