Wire rope gripper?

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Alex and I are thinking ahead to "what if" our new Takeuchi mini-excavator (15K unit) gets stuck and needs a nudge. He has about 200 feet 1/2 inch wire rope that could be used with a snatch block to let the ex ideally pull itself out of a predicament. We found a stout 16,000 lb WLL block for about $200. We need something to grip the cable where we need to anchor to a shackle at the mini-ex body as a pull point. I am thinking to attach one end of the cable to the mini-ex arm. Then the mini arm can pull the wire rope that goes thru a block at an anchor (big pine likely) and the other end is anchored to the body of the mini-ex. After each cycle of the arm pull we would have to reset the gripper at the mini-ex body. I can't find any videos of that being done.

What is a wire rope grabbing device that won't crimp/ruin the cable?

He found this but it is about $900!! https://www.grainger.com/product/TRACTEL-Wire-Rope-Gripper-22F502

1631065842912.png

Getting stuck usually requires concerted effort.

You can tie off cable with wraps for friction and something holding the tail. The tail could be held with a simple prusik.

A multi mount winch would be my choice, but it’s exceedingly rare that I have to plan for excavator recovery. The last time I was literally driving through a lake. Recovery was with a tractor, 7/8” rope, and some mechanical advantage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I looked at those...I remembered that thread...but the big ones are only rated to 8,000 pounds...not sure that is enough.

• Designed for use when light, compact grip is desired and where conductor damage is not a factor
  • Works on 0.50 to 1.00-Inch (12.70 to 25.40 mm) wire rope cable diameters with max safe load of 8000 lb (3629 kg)
  • Manufactured from drop-forged, heat-treated steel for excellent durability
  • Gripping pressure of the knurled jaw is applied to 1/4-Inch (6.35 mm) cable area
  • Made in USA

Haven's® Grip for Wire Rope 1-Inch

Haven's® Grip for Wire Rope 1-Inch
162520-1

(0)
Write a review
  • Designed for use when light, compact grip is desired and where conductor damage is not a factor
  • Works on 0.50 to 1.00-Inch (12.70 to 25.40 mm) wire rope cable diameters with max safe load of 8000 lb (3629 kg)
  • Manufactured from drop-forged, heat-treated steel for excellent durability
  • Gripping pressure of the knurled jaw is applied to 1/4-Inch (6.35 mm) cable area
  • Made in USA

Getting stuck usually requires concerted effort.

You can tie off cable with wraps for friction and something holding the tail. The tail could be held with a simple prusik.

A multi mount winch would be my choice, but it’s exceedingly rare that I have to plan for excavator recovery. The last time I was literally driving through a lake. Recovery was with a tractor, 7/8” rope, and some mechanical advantage.

That is re-assuring....we will eventually end up in pond muck I am pretty sure. We will be draining our 20 acre pond to do maintenance...may take a year before we can actually get onto the muck. I'll start a different thread about that sometime.

Get some mats then. Think of it as a life raft for an excavator lol. Honestly tho, a little bit of effort there makes it better all around because it makes it easier. You need at least 2, depending on the size. On one while moving one, etc. I can't see getting one stuck without flipping it, and that requires a bigger excavator to fix lol. You can also probe the ground with the bucket, testing to see if it will support you before you go out there. I personally haven't walked my 2wd backhoe into the creek here yet (a buddy has), but even that it's almost impossible to get stuck because the boom can almost always push you out. It used to be super common to have a 2wd (and occasionally a 4x4) backhoe and get stuck, and the operator would operate the backhoe simply by reaching behind him while still driving out. With an excavator you usually are using the bucket to help stabilize or lift a track to make a turn easier and not scrub as bad, so shoving yourself around will be second nature. With the mats you can go in stuff you can't even walk or crawl thru.

The grips can be used with multi part line if you get some blocks, so using a smaller diameter wire is definitely feasible. You could also weld up a bollard thing to be used to cleat off the wire. I suppose you could even mount a winch, maybe get a used winch designed for hill work stuff, but those might be hard to find small enough for your machine. A hydraulic winch wouldn't be that hard to mount, and would be easy enough to pipe in. But i have a hard time imagining needing it.

10-4 on mats...I have been researching a lot about them. LetsDig18 has a video channel and LOTS of good vids...he uses them quite a bit. I'll have 3 if I do them.

Thanks, Paul. If we do this whole cable snatch block thing I'll holler your way.

From what I see, the tensile strength of 1/2" cable is around 22k#. The tensile of 3/4" Stable Braid is a shade over 20k#. I'd lean more toward getting a 200' hank of that, and use whatever blocks were necessary to facilitate their use based on scenario. Far more manageable, usable in tree scenarios as well, and would serve the same purpose. That, and secure a few crossties to keep in your kit.

But it doesn't handle mud well, which is where you are planning to use it. I honestly think you will be fine, and if you aren't you likely will need another machine to get you out.

10-4 on another machine. The rescue videos I have seen always involve other machines. I mainly need to get the ex down there and get some hours on it to get a feel for how nimble and self-helping it can be.

I kinda like the rope idea. You can get long lengths fairly cheap. Since you'll be working in wetlands, you can get rope far enough away to hook to a recovery machine(s). If you trash the rope, so what? Cheaper than calling in recovery. You can use rope for trees, and will hopefully never need it for equipment.

Nah...money is an object. I don't think we're debating, just getting ideas from folks and learning stuff. Goo is going to be unavoidable at some point.

Mud mats will most likely be used...found this video last night...shows well how useful they can be.

Mr Let's Dig sure loves his volvos.

Y'all should check out his land clearing vids, he doesn't believe in chainsaw use except to buck logs, he just uproots trees, smashes them to toothpicks and loads them into dump trucks.

Back