Wire Core Flip Line??

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Alright, with my recent introduction to spikes, I've found a wire core flip line is way better for removals and spiking than a non wire core. I've tried both(wire core only once) and wow, it's so much easier to flip the line up than with my Blaze flip line.

So looking for some recommendations on what flip line to buy and what size. I know I want the Yale Maxi Flip, but I don't know what size, length, and if I should get the sport version or not.

By the way, any one try the Sport version yet?? I have the same clip on my current flip line and I love it.

I think a wire core sucks for anything but running up spars.

Give your current setup some time Adrian. A flip line isn't going to make you Mark Chisholm in the tree.

+1, when I was your age, I thought a flip line was important. It's sat in a box in the shop for years now.

Depends on where you're at. My wirecore flipline is used most of the time I have to climb. Medium to decent sized conifers a wirecore flipline rules I think. I use the first one on this link http://www.wesspur.com/Lanyards/steel-core.html

Can't remember the length, but that's it dangling in my avatar. I don't like to carry alot of extra length with me that's rarely to never going to be used.

Just a little side note, and pretty much another use of a safety unrelated to Ranger's question, but I change over to a standard rope safety when riding the crane hook. I feel a safer hitch around the small radius hook with standard rope, than with wire core.

If you are gonna get a wire core, get the Sport. I tested one and love it, wound up buying one. Length is personal preference. I have several landyards so I pick the length for the tree. 10' is not a bad everyday size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys!! I'll give my setup a bit more time.

It's just going up the spar is when I have some trouble. Any other time, my setup is just about perfect.

In over 18 years, Ive never used a wire core. I just dont see any advantage.

The advantage is it's stiffer for flipping and can take alot more abuse from a saw. Although I've never tested that advantage out and don't ever plan to. So stiffer for flipping is the biggest thing I think.

I can flip just fine without a wirecore. And a full running saw will cut thru ANY lanyard.

There was a vid going around of a wire core cut test with a chainsaw...might be available on youtube. Could even have even been someone in the house posting it. For sure it cut through in what....ten-twenty seconds, I seem to recall with a lot of sparks.

It's just going up the spar is when I have some trouble.

I think the trouble is in your head, not your lanyard.

Step, step, FLIP.

Repeat as needed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQktxWEggUA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQktxWEggUA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't know .I've never climbed tree nor pole except with a linemans belt .Never used a line but then never spured a fat tree either .Step,step,flip too .Pole or tree .

Ah,I just looked at the vid of Butch climbing that tree .The diff between that and climbing a pole is you lean back into the belt more so on the pole,into the belt .Now,when he hit the curve in the tree he got on the high side which is same,same .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Butch! After watching your video, I'm now realizing a big part is hand placement.

Now, to finish it off I'll check out Gerry's spur climbing video again!!

Wire core... and I do a lot of conifers... Maybe it's just a west coast thing... Works just sweet on all the oaks around here too... As for safety.. nick with saw and you live .. I am all up wit dat!:drink:

Well being that the standard for cutting with a chainsaw requires 2 points of attachment, nicking a lanyard (any lanyard) you should live because your other attachment will catch you.

Whenever someone uses the cut resistance of a wire core in their reasoning to use one I can only think they are using false hope.

I still dont see any real advantage unless the trees being ascended are massively Redwoodish huge.

Ive never bought a lanyard in my life. I make them all. You cant just make a wire core.

Back