what kind of whipping twine do you use?
do you think wax covered is necessary?
what about braided twine?

is this overkill?

or is this more than enough?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last edited:
Actually I had some old Zing It 1.8mm line which began tangling on me a few months after I bought it. I replaced it with Zing It 2.2mm and ended up using a bunch of the old 1.8mm line for whipping on my rope splices. It worked great. Later I just bought whipping twine from one of the arborist supply places, probably Sherrill or Wesspur. I no longer whip my splices because the whipping just gets torn up in use. I use the twine for making hidden lock stitches and leave the splices unwhipped.

Yes waxed, grips better and stays in place better during the whip. When it's done it kind of melds together, helps protect it from the abuse of being on the end of a working rope.

Skwerl, what size rope is that?

Since im new to the whole splicing concept i got to get the whipping out of my system too.

I think it might be worth it to get one of each and see how they compare down the road.

Is the idea behind seizing getting the half hitches as close to each other as possible?

I use this product from Amazon and it has served me well. Started off with some standard 1mm twine that came in my splicing starter kit and I still have it while I’ve gone through like 3 rolls of this stuff. The higher diameter is so much easier. Never tried a non waxed version but if it slides more than the waxed stuff I would never want to even try it

Edit:FSE Robline Waxed Tackle Yarn Whipping Twine - White - 1.5mm x 32M

Last edited:
Skwerl, what size rope is that?

Since im new to the whole splicing concept i got to get the whipping out of my system too.

I think it might be worth it to get one of each and see how they compare down the road.

Is the idea behind seizing getting the half hitches as close to each other as possible?
That is a 3/4" double braid polyester. Not sure exactly which one. It's an old rigging sling.

Tinyhulk, I was wondering about that stuff since it's pretty much the only waxed twine the comes up on a search on amazon. I'm glad to hear a good review.

Good stuff there ruel. Poking around their site, I found tacks they sell, and looking further I found the company they come from. They sell the old US made survey tacks. They've been coming from India for awhile now, and though they meet the baseline of functional, they're pretty shit. Sloppy, and too fat. I'm willing to pay a premium to get the old tacks I used to use. Thanks!

edit:
I'm sure no one gives a shit, but these are the tacks I use...

Nice! I had no idea they sold those or what they are used for, but I think they are a fun old time company

Definitely loving that site as well Ruel. Gonna have to try there whipping twine next time I need some more. Got like 7 splices on my to do list

Ruel, using that site you posted, the company will send sample cards with all the sizes of a specific color on them. which I thought was cool and took advantage of the offer and had them send me some samples of a couple different colors. I will post pictures when I get them.

Last edited:
Being that you don't want it to cut primary threads by being too stiff or too fine like fishing line;
i think more elastic nylon over polyester makes a lot of sense.
Also, then too the target spec of same size as primary threads, to match right to grip but not knife nor float.
As in making Square Knot, recommend same size, stiffness, elasticity from both sides to give neither any advantage and nip equally twice(Binding only).
So, to be sure, 1 piece of rope is used, so that may match all the specs in a balance.
i don't think i'd pop for the Marlow dyneema/amz
FWIW(other matters): the lock in Square Knot from primary force/greatest leg forces into the bights slipped together, is against host in Round Binding
>>using errantly as a Bend, takes away the primary force lock, and depends on the deflected force side/not raw primary forces for the lock
>>bending Bitter End down into between primaries gives lock of Sheet Bend, that has primary force on the lock.
>>Where the bight side is just a passive framework grabbed, for the hitch side as lock
>>if different sizes, the lock side must be smaller/denser force to impose on the larger/softer bight of equal tensioned hardness.

I ended up buyin some mason line from lowes, which was nylon braided stuff. I also bought some marlow braided polyester wax covered stuff. The website said the number 4 size was good for 3/8 to 3/4 inch rope but I think it's on the smaller end. Its like a third the size of the nylon line.

Has anyone tried seizing a rope/splice the samson way? Is the goal of seizing to get the half hitches as close to each other as possible?

Ps... the lowes braided nylon I think will be perfect for a throwline at 8 bucks for i think 250 ft of it

If you're only climbing rarely you may be right, but even then I doubt it. Dynaglide Is 6 times that price and absolutely worth it IMO. It'll last longer and be way less frustrating

Yea, I'd look for other places to save money. Even proper throwline can be frustrating with tangles. Stringline would be rage inducing trying to manage it.

I just spent almost an hour untangling my Dynaglide. It needs to be taken out, laid flat, then flaked into my bucket, but I don't feel like dealing with 300' of line this morning. If that were stringline, it would be in the trash. There isn't a chance I'd have gotten that rat's nest out of it.

Thanks for the guidance.

The pic is the color card from the Maine thread company. If you are going by using thread the size of a strand in the rope that this stuff is going to be on the small side. It does seem like some quality stuff and it's nice and waxie.

In the last pic I'm practicing seizing and whipping, is the goal to get it as tight as possible? The orange stuff is the mason line and seized, the black is the marlow number 4 which i think is .8mm and its whipped and the green is from Emma kites and it is 100 percent uhmwpe braided cord at .5mm which probably perfect for sewing and lock stitch it's 100 lb abs. It is the cheapest place I have found to get small size genaric dyneema and it seams legit, super hard to cut, slick, strong and melts weird. black and green where both whipped via samson whipping method 1. I'm going to try a bunch of different ways to see which one works the best.

For lock stitch I used a blunder nose needle but is the plan to get the thread inbetween and not threw the rope strands? Or do you guys just put the needle threw and where it goes is where it ends up? It's alot harder and more time consuming to try to thread the needle around the strands when there is a line buried in the rope I'm trying to lock stitch.

Thank you friends

Attachments

• 20220302_085252.jpg
    20220302_085252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1646236792891463308556.jpg
    1646236792891463308556.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Back