What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
I've seen hot coffee dumped from the sail of a nuc sub hit the ice as a little drops of brown ice .Something like 42 below zero ,no wind. Above the Artic circle but a long ways from the pole .

The story I have heard repeatedly is that hot water freezes faster. Never tested it myself.

Mid 60's and sunny here in WNY. Rained quite a bit last night. I am on pipe patrol today. I ripped a down Black Willow out of the creek yesterday that had collected a lot of twigs, leaves, and branches. I have two 6 foot pipes side by side that most of the debris has to go through. I try to keep it clear so it doesn't become a big mess.

Expecting a high of 22 here today. I am doing bids but not "working" out in it. I realize that some of our tough Canuckian and Russkie brethren would love to have these temps but since there are only a few days that don't get above freezing here each winter I am staying home and waiting for tomorrow. when it should reach 40.

Jan 14 and it's 59.2 and sunny.

We've had one snow storm worth mentioning so far this season and that's it. No major snow storms last year either.

And they say there's no global warming..

SDC10669.jpg SDC10885.jpg SDC10912.jpg

I just got back from 86 F in P.V. Mexico yesterday to minus -31F this morning here at home. My warm weather climatized lungs started to freeze this morning when I went to shovel my driveway. The snow blower wouldn't start, now in the garage warming up.

Not trying to brag but I have to go back to P.V. Mexico in 2 weeks from now for a week stay. www.arborcanada.com is sending me there to do a trainer course and a little team building session as I will be one of their instructors.

View attachment 45378View attachment 45379View attachment 45380

I just got back from 86 F in P.V. Mexico yesterday to minus -31F this morning here at home. My warm weather climatized lungs started to freeze this morning when I went to shovel my driveway. The snow blower wouldn't start, now in the garage warming up.

Not trying to brag but I have to go back to P.V. Mexico in 2 weeks from now for a week stay. www.arborcanada.com is sending me there to do a trainer course and a little team building session as I will be one of their instructors.

Cool! Steer clear of Thor if he sports his mankini though, I hear its disturbing to see. lol

Cool! Steer clear of Thor if he sports his mankini though, I hear its disturbing to see. lol

:lol: At the last Alberta course in Oct I believe Dwayne said Thor quit, could be wrong though. I know he's not coming to Mexico.
Good for you Willard. Maybe one day we'll cross paths at a course!
Thanks Dylan, yeah that would be cool to meet up one day.

Thought I would continue our talk about ND weather and scenery over here. The following are some images I took on the way home this afternoon. The trees in these images are all planted for shelterbelts in fields or around farmsteads.

100_1208.jpg

The Souris river valley and marshes.
100_1209.jpg

In the distance you can see the Turtle Mountain. It is about 20 miles away and only rises about 800' above the prairie. Over on Willard's side it flattens back out.
100_1211.jpg

Here is a link to a short description of the Prairie in Winter by Dr. Chuck Lura, Biology Professor at Dakota College at Bottineau. Fits the images very well. http://www.prairiepublic.org/radio/radio-programs-a-z/natural-north-dakota/prairie-in-winter

It's above freezing right now at 2 pm .Suppossed to be a cold front coming through first of next week .Could hit zero at night .About typical for the later portion of Jan.

We have probabley have about 6-8 more weeks of true winter until spring so it's half way over with .

Hottest day ever recorded in Sydney, 114.44F. Not sure what it got to out here, but it was a bit higher 116F under my gum tree at 3.30 and it was hotter earlier.

Just did a little palm this morning unlike the second ever hottest day about four years ago when I had to cut a big gum off a road and concrete driveway. That was hot.

Back