What is the best all-around Arborist boot?!?!

treewhisperer

TreeHouser
What is the best arborist boot, considering toughness and durability, that allows for chainsaw protection but yet still good for ropeclimbing and spikes. So, best all around boot?
Miendl Air Stream?
Pfanner Zermat?
Scarpa
Arbpro?
Georgia?

I would love your opinions gentlemen and ladies.

Carolina loggers. I've tried Haix, Keen, and a few others. I always go back to the loggers. Tough, comfy, reasonably priced. They need a little more ankle support. They are definitely not the fancy new climbing type of boot, but they are time tested.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats what i hear about the Georgia's too. I've always worn old school boots but they seem quite heavy in the try so im lokin at Zermat or Miendl, etc. Durable, lighter and still protective. But i have a hard time converting.
Carolina loggers. I've tried Haix, Keen, and a few others. I always go back to the loggers. Tough, comfy, reasonably priced. They need a little more ankle support. They are definitely not the fancy new climbing type of boot, but they are time tested.

Just looked at the Carolina Loggers. love em, especially the price! They look fairly durable, steel shank and toe, waterproof. Done! Sold! And still old school! Thanks EMR.

Vibergs?Can you get them in Canada? Is that what ya have on in the avatar pic?

Yup they're made right here in BC. They're a logging boot so pretty bulky and heavy but kick ass for spurs.

As for the model I'd have to probably ask at the store, they're sold locally. I wear the ones with a proper heel to hold the stirrup and a vibram sole. I have both safety and soft toed versions. The non safety toe version is my favorite wearing boot. But there's no safety toe. I currently have three pairs. They can be resoled atleast a couple of times usually but run $4-500 a pair.

In my avatar I have a pair of aku's on. They were a kick ass boot but didn't last as long were quite expensive as well even though I remember getting a good deal on them as the store was selling out of that line and no safety toe.

Ya i thought they were maybe Klein boots. I just looked up these Carolina Loggers. Nice! and the price is awesome. i looked at the Vibergs too, they look good too, ya bulky and a whole lot more $$$ compared to Carolinas. I'm happy to find em, i had Zermats lined up in my wishlist on treestuff but $400 and they are not what i'm used to.
Yup they're made right here in BC. They're a logging boot so pretty bulky and heavy but kick ass for spurs.

As for the model I'd have to probably ask at the store, they're sold locally. I wear the ones with a proper heel to hold the stirrup and a vibram sole. I have both safety and soft toed versions. The non safety toe version is my favorite wearing boot. But there's no safety toe. I currently have three pairs. They can be resoled atleast a couple of times usually but run $4-500 a pair.

In my avatar I have a pair of aku's on. They were a kick ass boot but didn't last as long were quite expensive as well even though I remember getting a good deal on them as the store was selling out of that line and no safety toe.

Ive never bought arborist boot, but i assume they are more light weight, less protective, probably gives the climber a little more feel in the tree.

For certain. Easier on the tree to I'd guess. My Aku's were the closest to a good spur less climbing boot that I've had. Ideally if I was doing lots of spur less climbing(which I don't trim much, more the killing type) I'd have separate boots for each discipline.

I think an "all-around" boot is hard to find. If you're doing mostly pruning work, then I feel that a lightweight hiker with good tread is best. But if you're going to working in spurs most of the time then one of the logger's boots will be more comfortable. Neither of the above provides chainsaw pro, so if most of your work is on the ground then chainsaw boots may be best.

I personally can't be bothered with three different pairs of boots, so I usually wear a good hiking boot, as I don't a lot of time on spikes. Chainsaw protection would be nice, but the cost starts going waaay up.

Since I move back and forth between spurs and spur less... I wear good ol MIL spec Altama Desert boots.... Sole works like a hiker with an instep that will accommodate spurs. Can be purchased with a shank...
Someday, when we are more than 60 percent tree work... I will have more than a couple sets of boots.....

Ya thats the dilema. I spend on average the same amount of time pruning and spurs and a little time on the ground. helpin my groundie so it sure would be nice to find a good all around boot. I guess Zermat and Miendl are about the cream of the crop, but big bucks and i really dont think they would be that durable. I really like these Carolinas that emr pointed out.
I think an "all-around" boot is hard to find. If you're doing mostly pruning work, then I feel that a lightweight hiker with good tread is best. But if you're going to working in spurs most of the time then one of the logger's boots will be more comfortable. Neither of the above provides chainsaw pro, so if most of your work is on the ground then chainsaw boots may be best.

I personally can't be bothered with three different pairs of boots, so I usually wear a good hiking boot, as I don't a lot of time on spikes. Chainsaw protection would be nice, but the cost starts going waaay up.

The steep price tag of Viberg boots is quickly forgotten once you've owned a pair for a few years. The value is long term, rebuild in is usually around $100-150. Re sole twice and now you've had a super high quality boot that's lasted for years and years at a reasonable cost.

Ah, those are what they wear in the military aren't they? Iraq Afghanistan?
Since I move back and forth between spurs and spur less... I wear good ol MIL spec Altama Desert boots.... Sole works like a hiker with an instep that will accommodate spurs. Can be purchased with a shank...
Someday, when we are more than 60 percent tree work... I will have more than a couple sets of boots.....

Pretty much...
We do a lot of work in the brush as well... I need different sole (Vibram) for the ground work if I want them to last longer for ground work.. For trees, this is good for a dual purpose.. good grip and good insole.....
product_thumb.php

Vibram sole

altam170066_95516_jb.jpg

Carolina loggers come in a few different models if u look there is a USA made model that's a little better quality. I ordered it in steel toe but but didn't like it (never wore steel toes before) but seemed well built compared to the others I have that are made overseas. I returned them and went and got redwings. They are great except for inconsistencies in the boots.

Carolina loggers come in a few different models if u look there is a USA made model that's a little better quality. I ordered it in steel toe but but didn't like it (never wore steel toes before) but seemed well built compared to the others I have that are made overseas. I returned them and went and got redwings. They are great except for inconsistencies in the boots.
I like the Redwings for spike work too Joe, their shank is solid as a rock and with a good insole added they are pretty comfortable.

Tangos Chainsaw boots by Drayer are great.
bulh.JPG

jycx.jpg

Great for any type of climbing or all groundwork. By far the best work boot I've ever worn. I've worn them everyday for the last couple months.

I was under the impression that chainsaw boots were bigger and bulkier than regular boots. How do those compare? Do u notice extra bulk from the chainsaw protection?

Back