What Fieldwork Do You Find Boring?

I like raking. No-one does it as well as I do, so it's annoying to watch them try.
Just a little toot on my horn. Peep 🤣
I agree, but I don't like it, but since it has to get done, do it right and do it fast. I have like a 12ft raking stroke plus a throw at the end to get the raking to go farther.

I hate trimming fence lines/driveways/roadways. Lots of junk, thorns, ticks, and shoulder wrenching power pruner work.

Stump grinding isn't so bad if the ground is wet to keep the dust down, and the grinder is a big RC unit, so I can sit in a chain under a tent while running it.

I can imagine that could get old, though I've never done a tree inventory

I agree, but I don't like it, but since it has to get done, do it right and do it fast. I have like a 12ft raking stroke plus a throw at the end to get the raking to go farther.

I hate trimming fence lines/driveways/roadways. Lots of junk, thorns, ticks, and shoulder wrenching power pruner work.

Stump grinding isn't so bad if the ground is wet to keep the dust down, and the grinder is a big RC unit, so I can sit in a chain under a tent while running it.

An oscillating sprinkler while grinding helps.

If anyone’s done utility work, scrubbing would have to be my most hated and tedious task. Sometimes referred to as ground lining. Two workers arrive at powerline span that’s 200m long and 15m easement. 200-300 Euc or Acacia saplings all to be cut at ground level (ranging from knee high to 5-6m tall), poison stump, gather up a giant armful carry/drag to side of easement. Once that span is done rinse and repeat for 10 hours, days and days on end. Usually a healthy dose of blackberries, gorse, cutting grass and barbed wire fences to contend with. Needless to say it’s soul and chain destroying work.

Last edited:
Do you use clearing saws, or is it all chainsaw work?
Generally a small cc chainsaw like a MS261, as there is sometimes the odd bigger one. Clearing saws would make it a much nicer job, unfortunately there isn’t much interest in getting them on the contract we are on. Luckily I don’t do a lot of it anymore, but I feel for the guys that do!

Back