What 5/8” rigging rope are you using?

Might be useful to state the intended purpose. I have an idea what you're looking for, but the intent will dictate the replies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lemme ask this as well: is it worth it to purchase 5/8 or just go with 3/4? My block will accept it and my slings will support the load 3/4 can carry. Do you find 5/8 strong enough for nearly all your needs? I currently have 1/2 Arborplex for lighter stuff.

More dynamic, I use for pulling. Elastic effect. 3 strand works great. More Strength goes to stable braid, especially using MA.
Same as Scott, I'll start with 1/2" and then IF I need larger for the wood. Next line is pulled up using the other. Right to the block. I'll even switch blocks and escalate as needed starting with my 1/2" aluminum or Pinto Rigg.

Great points regarding cutting for handling as well as minimum lengths. Sounds like 5/8 would definitely suffice if you guys hardly/ never get into 3/4. I was 90’ up the backyard poplar thinking of a rigging plan. Taking whole limbs would be great. Some of them are 18” dia. The largest of them may need to be halved. Just need to check the weight chart and take the shock load into consideration. The tree is at least 140’ canopy starts at 80’. I always said that trees height was 120’. I guess I just didn’t believe it could be that tall. 🤷‍♂️

since i started playing with a loadcell i know i‘m basicly constantly overloading my lines. it is quite difficult to stay in a 10:1 wll. so even though i would like to stay inside 10:1, i know i‘m closer to 5:1 wll and retire/downgrade my ropes accordingly.

i also like short lines but mainly for aerial friction, for negative rigging trunk wood i prefer longer ropes as i‘m often using a doublewhiptackle, doubling your wll and decreasing loads on anchorpoints by 50%.

also i splice my ropes to retain more breaking strength.

what slings are you using?

My 5/8 -& 3/4 are Samson Nystron, which provide more "elasticity" for negative rigging as needed. They rarely come out as well, as my 9/16 stable braid is my go to rigging rope for just about everything.

Samson Stable Braid 5/8" / 16mm was my main rigging and pull rope until a PITA operator broke it. I also have a 22mm pull rope that I use a fair bit in land clear with the 27ton Komatsu excavator. Some of the stuff ive done would send chills down peoples spine.

Stable braid. I’ve contemplated getting some Polydyne for the elastic/ dynamic response, but never went there. Back in the day we used 1 1/8” synthetic triple twist from American Arborist Supply for negative rigging really big tops, etc. My last Hank of that has been made into rope swings for the local day care just up the street.

Mike,
Did you get your sling needs figured out? Now that I made it home, and once I get over this second bout of COVID we should figure out what configurations you need / see which rings and rope I have / and get you set up.

I'm using sterling ropes 1/2, and 5/8. Always used to use stable braid, but I like the sterling better!

Pat, Jonny hooked me up with 5/8 and 7/16 Ultras at a more than fair price. Thank you SO much for your willingness! Did you get COVID again after you just quarantined in CA?! Like a week later?

Can a load cell be had for under $200? I’m pretty sure that’s a big fat NO! Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Back