The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Video slam with Jed

treebilly

Student of the Jedi
Hey Jed, that springy thing, it’s the elevator.
I like your companies St. Patrick’s day thing on facey space. Neat looking.

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
That's a good bucket video Jed... See mine below

Here are some comments:

87mustang3471 year ago
Awesome video. Absolutely need to do more like this. I enjoy watching everyone else’s videos on you tube but none of them explain strategy implemented into each cut the way you just did. This is how you get people to learn! Thanks

Waiakalulu
1 year ago
The man is an ARTIST!!! Every time I see these videos I'm learning. School's in session!! Love those dramatic spot-on swing and drops. Impressive work here!!

arborist460
1 year ago
Son your bag of tricks is runnin over...lol...I've learned alot over several yrs of your vids

August Hunicke1 year ago
Good vid, Running dialogue is loud and clear. “Let’s see what happens,” 💪🏼 something I say a lot. It’s the sign of a get it done personality IMO.

futang44
10 months ago
You sir, are a master!

glyn jukes1 year ago
great vid. great judgement. a pleasure to watch you work. stary safe fella

Jed

TreeHouser
Sean: You can have mine that Eastise gave me, dude. Dead serious. It's a hero 8. I can hardly upload stuff from my Hillbilly abode.

Daniel: Yeah, yeah, o.k... Daniel Murphy: 1
Jed Walters: 0

Okay, dude, yer vid was like, way, way, way better. But in all honesty... I couldn't even watch like 2 thirds of the middle part. 1) I can already rig out the whole world if I have to. (I try not to) and, 2) Most work done out of a bucket just bores me to distraction. Granted, there is some regional snobbery here, and I can see from your vid that that Oak was no joke, and you are a dang solid professional tree man who knows what the Heck he's doing, and are someone that I would trust to go up there without wasting a ton of time. Honest to God man, my hat's off to ya, and you know what the heck yer doin'. Granted. So, but, having said that... dude... if my vid was doubly unwatchable, the your vid was (I'm ONLY talking about from the perspective of a prefessional tree-man, which even I presume to be) at least unwatchable, at least in my area. I dare say that if I were out there, and wanted to run a competitive show... I'd have a thing or two to learn from you to say the least. But... out here... Dude, dead serious: I could probably count the bucket rig-out shows I've done on one hand. NOBODY in my region respect some guy who can rig out a tree out of the bucket. Man, we got the 75' (elevator, Rich says) and that pig hardly reaches anything.

Having said that. That job that you did looked like it sucked, and (at least from what I could see in the vid) it was imho very well done. Dude we NEVER (almost never) have to deal with Oak. I call em' "black-top smashers." I hate those sprawled out pigs. Love burning em though.

Last edited:

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
right.. regional differences are often underestimated by self centered egotistical tree men.

I noticed you'd prefer to climb if you have a choice. I don't have much of a choice these days. fortunately I got some old video from the climbing days

Jed

TreeHouser
I don't have much of a choice these days.
Your back? Your arches? Knees? Shoulder? Dude: I had to go up and finish a tiny birch tree today for a 6' 4" 28 year old man who looks like a skinny UFC fighter today. I go: "Dude!? What's wrong?" And he was like: "Dude, I think I seriously f'ed up my shoulder!"

PLEASE don't get me wrong... in the East where you guys have extremely heavy, sprawling hardwoods... I would nave no end of respect for a skilled bucket rigger... they just don't really reach too much out here. Now the crane... that's a little different.

So, what do you do if you get some Gigantor Tulip Poplar to deal with? Rent a crane? Hire a climber? or just muscle through the pain?

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
Cranes are definitely the way to go. Most of the bigger names out here own their own by now. Anyone with 5 or 6 crews. I can usually get a tree if I can reach it with the 75' bucket, but the first tree I ever did with that bucket, it only reached the first brach. For backyard trees I have a climber. He's OK, but most of the contract guys I knew back in the day have moved on.

I probably won't ever wear the hooks again, though I could climb without them if necessary. The last time I was in the hooks, it was only about 30-40 minutes and my feet ached for 2 years. Limping badly for about 6 months. There is no tree job that is worth that long term suffering

Ryan

Treehouser
2 years? Did you forget to put on boots first? Just razzing you. Do you have blown arches or something?

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
I had plantar fasciitis after getting Lyme in 1998. Really painful. I couldn't walk down the stairs in the morning without putting most of my weight on the banister. Then I noticed my feet started hurting after playing basketball and such in 2000, and I had a couple of other incidents where they seemed to get sore for long periods of time, but passable.

Jed

TreeHouser
So, yeah man... TOTALLY not worth it?

Platform spurs?... Too much cultural mockery, or just not much better on your feet?

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
But in all honesty... I couldn't even watch like 2 thirds of the middle part. Most work done out of a bucket just bores me to distraction.
OK Jed,
here's one from the old days. Only 10 years ago, but it seems like a half a lifetime.

My buddy Sammy who used to run the skid loader like he was born in the seat dropped dead of a heart attack at age 51 about 5 years back and the old crew is all but gone now. I can't help but feel a little sad and nostalgic for those days. I'll never climb a tree-like that again. Funny thing is that I was coming off an injury at the time and hadn't been in the hooks in over 6 months, when the contract climber took a look at the tree and tiptoed quietly away, then stopped returning calls, or I wouldn't have the footage to show for it.

We were using a high block and re-direct to drag much of the brush back across the creek and had to take everything out of the backyard through a 6-foot opening. The big back leaning last cut was a nice piece of rigging. Using 2:1 MA pulling system, with a keeper prussic anchored to a small tree. I should have shown on video.

Anyhow. everything is different now. Sending you a lot of love Jed!

Jed

TreeHouser
Okay, I don't care who you are or WHERE yer from... that first vid was just, straight-up rad. I cannot BELIEVE how huge that pig was. Dude, I've probly done trees almost twice that high, but I have never even SEEN a pig like that. Dead serious. PA grows em big boy.

Super cool vid man. Rockin tunes too imho. I'm gonna try to watch the Locust one after dinner.

That was cool the way you guys pulled that monster back-leaner over!

Jed

TreeHouser
Okay, well you definitely won the novel tree work award with that second one.

Yeah, I'm gonna be pretty hard-pressed on this thread to give you any real competition, man, I dunno...

I got a pretty nice fallin job coming up on Friday.... that is if I can get to it... you see they are currently trying to make it illegal in this country to go where you will, and provide for your family and stuff. Heartless souls like mine are just so bent on jeopordizing public safety with our virus ridden carcasses. Never could have dreamed that I would have lived to see this degree of fascism in the land of the free (locked-down) and the home of the brave (millenial, comunist cowards.)

Super weird... our fathers used to say, "Live free or die. Death is not the greatest of evils." But these days we're like: "Shelter in place!!!.... Don't DIE!!!" The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!