veteran tree management

Naturarbo

Naturarbo
From a place where not many trees are left, this mighty oak Quercus ilex dated 800 years had 1/3 of canopy down with rain and wind, got called for it and recommended a crown reduction to what was left.

Tree is a picnic spot with bbqs, all the standing mass is facing the sidewalk and road.

The tear is about 1mx0,8m.

Would you take this course of action?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Consider moving people, propping, and if oaks like it, mulch and "coarse woody debris" in the root zone.

It's lost a huge amount of photosynthetic potential, already.

I'd like to see a picture of the break, to determine if there is decay.

We don't have ilex up here, so I don't know how well it sets watersprouts, when reduced a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@stig previous one branche bend until touching the floor, a wound was open and never healed correctly, this to say there is decay

Attachments

• AZINHEIRA.JPG
    AZINHEIRA.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
@SeanKroll the tree is still massive and whats left is gonna fall on public way, after official evaluation, if its not me doin the job, they will cut it until nothing is left or leave something that I would prefer not to see

But if you do a reduction, be sure to take enough and maybe put some supports under or it might be your ass getting bit, if it collapses.

Is that a typo or is it really around 800 years old?

I’m not familiar with the species, do you know if it’s vulnerable to oak wilt or if the disease is present in the area?

Do you have a real winter or dormant season in Portugal?

Sometimes you can seemingly do everything textbook perfect and the tree still declines or dies or fails.

Do as little as possible to render it 'safe'. The tree will now use stored reserves to compensate for the loss of that huge branch, cutting too much off now will make the situation worse. If bulk needs to be removed to reduce risk to the road, only take just as much off as is needed.
Like Sean said it's taken a massive hit in photosynthetic production by losing that branch.
Supplement the root zone, mulch, water.
If it is as old as you say, then efforts should be made to preserve it. Can the targets be moved or shifted or redirected so they are not in the potential impact area? Road, maybe not.
I too would advocate propping of some sort regardless if targets can be moved or not.

Which way does the wind come from?

Who owns the tree?

Who owns the road?

How much traffic?

Any Heritage Tree Society type of thing in the area?

This is Guy Meilleur's @treelooker 's department.

Email him some pics and the best information about the circumstance that you can.

800 year old oak, man i couldn't see giving up on that easily, and would hate to be on charge of making that call. Guy lines going back to lessen the risk of falling on the road? Tell them to move the damn road? I mean if that dating is accurate that tree was here when the magna carta was signed and genghis khan was inventing the Netflix and chill move...

I don't think 800 years is so exceptional for that part of the world.

I don't think 800 years is so exceptional for that part of the world.

I would think any tree pushing a millennia is kinda a big deal, no? I know we have many here far older, but that's still a big deal from my vantage point. I dunno, if i owned that tree i would be fighting like hell to keep it around. I tried looking online for it but aren't there some really old trees in Europe that are basically propped up and kept going for centuries? I'll keep looking but I want to say an oak that looked very rough, but was right in the middle of town or something.

Rather than remove veteran trees in one hit, I prefer 'managed decline' .
Yes it's going to suffer a bit, maybe retrench lower down in the canopy, and gradually need more bits cut off here and there over time, but big old veteran trees become the habitat for many critters and plants and fungi. Think of the hollows and stag heads developing on that tree.
For some of them, the beginning of that managed decline is a storm event, or collapse of a major branch.
I will say though it's in a park, so a somewhat sterile environment.

I always say however, if removal is the only option, then telling it's story ahead of the event can help the backlash. For a tree that has been part of the scene for so long, allowing people to come to terms with it's demise can go a long way towards a smoother removal.

I'll never forget rounding a corner to see a gaping hole where a veteran tree had once stood for as long as I could ever remember. Yes, it had been damaged in a hurricane and was a safety issue to the roadway, but it was just gone, Bam, from one day to the next. I was very upset that the Government (it was on crown land) had not thought to give the community a heads up. Many woodworkers, cabinet makers, and just people would have loved to take the wood, it went to the dump. Ebony. Same deal with a row of old olives, no forethought.
Bit of a soap box for me.

Targets that will be possible to move are tables, road, sidewalk and bbqs is not happening.
My idea is reduce tips from road and sidewalk, lower the height and prop it.
From responsible authorities only shit will came as help.
We dont have TPOs here.
So a felling permission will be granted, not a pruning one and then anything can be done, even leaving a single twig.

wiki says 200 to 2000 years of life, a quite large window.
The few I know about it is a very dense hard wood with a slow growing rate. The weigh of such a limb should be enormuous.

Back