Vermeer BC190XL chipper, thoughts, experiences?

Mick!

TreeHouser
Kubota tends to be bulletproof, ime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The engine doesn’t worry me, I’ve had plenty of Kubotas, it is the machine in general that interests me.

I had a torrid time with the one I just sold, looking to have a more relaxing time on the next (probably last) chipper.

Overall I guess Vermeer makes good machines, but my local dealer has built a reputation for being overpriced and really sticking it to anybody unfortunate enough to bring a machine in for servicing or repairs. When I was shopping for a chipper I specifically avoided Vermeer because of my local dealer. They are similar to Stihl in that they will slightly modify a standard tractor part, paint it yellow and charge 3-4X as much for it.

I've never seen that model. Wouldn't consider anything smaller than a BC1000 for commercial work.

Mick, question for you: Why looking for a small chipper? Not enough truck to haul or space to store it?

I owned a BC1400 for a couple of months. Decided I would rather quit tree work than keep using that POS. It had so many terrible design flaws that made it almost impossible to chip brush. Worst chipper Ive ever owned by a long shot.

Best small machine i used was a 6" Bandit. The other a Moorbark in the same class.
Out performed the same size vermeer and the Rayco. No, I dont remember the model. Ill try and find the pictures though to see if I can see it.

They don’t really sell them here.
Vermeer is the only US chipper manufacturer with any real presence here.

Chuck and ducks pretty much don't exist over there right? For a low maintenance, easy to maintain chipper for small diameter stuff being fed by hand i can't possibly imagine anything better.

Why is your current chipper not suitable? IMO you already have a small chipper. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using your current chipper versus buying a second one?

Too big for the smaller work, 2.2 tonnes (4800 pounds)

I like 2 chippers in the workshop in case of downtime.

Plus I need a bit of debt.

4800 lbs? Holy cow, that's way heavier than my 13" Morbark w 100hp turbo diesel (3600 lbs). When you said 75hp I figured it was about a 9" capacity.

4800 lbs? Holy cow, that's way heavier than my 13" Morbark w 100hp turbo diesel (3600 lbs). When you said 75hp I figured it was about a 9" capacity.
No kidding? What model?

A big part of my resistance to a second chipper is weight to power ratios. I need to move it with my 2600 pound mini... my chipper weighs 4400 pounds.

No kidding? What model?

A big part of my resistance to a second chipper is weight to power ratios. I need to move it with my 2600 pound mini... my chipper weighs 4400 pounds.
It's an antique Morbark, over 25 years old. Not weighed down with all that fancy safety stuff.

Back