Using a throw bag in the tree

Matagorn

Treehouser
Hey all. Does anyone carry a throw line and bag on their saddle to reset lines? If so, what length of line and what bag weight do you recommend? Do you just flake the line into the bag as you would a throw cube? Thanks for any insights!

I don’t, but if I did I’d probably try the fly fishing reel doohickey.

I use a pole with saw head minus the blade to move ropes around and throw monkey fist around pretty often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t, but if I did I’d probably try the fly fishing reel doohickey.

I use a pole with saw head minus the blade to move ropes around and throw monkey fist around pretty often.
I do the same as you. I figure the throw bag might come in handy at some time though. But maybe not! I’ve seen some other guys mention that technique before.

It comes in handy, but for anything I've done it's rare. A throw weight and a throwing hook are more useful to me personally, but I'm sure it would be different if i would ever break down and get the fly reel. I also can't do the boomerang shot either tho. I will set lines from the ground all the time tho.

It comes in handy, but for anything I've done it's rare. A throw weight and a throwing hook are more useful to me personally, but I'm sure it would be different if i would ever break down and get the fly reel. I also can't do the boomerang shot either tho. I will set lines from the ground all the time tho.
Like the Captain Hook?

Once in a blue moon I'll carry up a throwline. I find my effective range it's about the same as 2 8' poles though, so that's usually my move for transfers

In 20+ years of climbing I never needed a throwline in a tree. If you need multiple lines set and aren't a good enough climber to just climb there, set them from the ground before you go up the tree. Carrying extra crap on your saddle is going to cost you a lot more than the money you wasted on it. If you need to waste money on crap to stick in your gear bag then buy loop runners. And carabiners.

Jerry showed me the fishing reel throwline thing in 09, when we climbed the big trees for the first time.
I've been using it since.
It hangs on my saddle on wide crowned trees where I needto get around a lot.

i have on taller and wider climbs.
Otherwise, that is one reason for steel carabiner in DBY hanging from belt w/rigging line attached.
>>aluminum is lighter and to that measure safer.
>>but steel makes better short distance throw bag as part of carabiner multi-purposing.
Car antenna with small end hook makes fair extendable reach tool when don't have pole saw upstairs with for retrieve throw line that falls just out of reach. Free hang on saddle or to back /side of hand saw holster.
Hard Drive or other flat 'Earth Magnet' also good on underside of holster to keep handsaw from slipping out - Tom Dunlap trick
(favor car keys not in that pocket tho... )

Once in a blue moon I'll carry up a throwline. I find my effective range it's about the same as 2 8' poles though, so that's usually my move for transfers
This was my worry. I usually advance my TIPs or set lowering points with poles as well. It seems unlikely that I will often find a way to use a throw bah in a tree that is quicker than using the poles, but I guess it’s good to have the tool for when that time arises. I would just have my ground guy tie it on when needed.

How do you all end up with a pole in the tree; gets sent up to you?
I have my ground man tie on a pole or usually two with a hook when I need it. I will hang it on a crotch or false crotch with a webbing loop or on my harness briefly and send it back down when it gets in the way.

I'll preset lines and use throw line aloft. If i get up there and see a good tie in to make my job easier, Ill have one of the lads send the bag end up and keep the cube on the ground. I toss the line, have them attach the climb line and pull it and flake line. I'll place the line where I want and just swing or pull myself over to a good spot. Mostly conifer though. Just slide over to the next tree. On large spreading crowns, mostly set those from the ground. Often more SRT to the next roost. Sometimes its less effort to just go up the next rope.
Plan the work, work the plan.

Sometimes in the top of tree A I will look over to the top of tree B noticing an easy shot from where I am anyways ... Will throw over and isolate desired tie in ... Same thing as above though , I don't need everything , just the weighted end sent up

Back