“They don’t make them like they used to…”

pigwot

M's, Juniper's, Lowen’s, and Inge’s Grandpa
I often find that least-cost-planning and/or profit-motive makes items less robust and more prone to prematurely wearing out.

I’m sure you can think of other examples, but small ratchet straps are on my mind this morning.

Seems those I find readily available have a cheaper nylon, polyester strap, sometimes paper-thin and the stamped steel ratchet frame is minimum-thickness.

Is there a brand or supplier you all know of who still makes a strong, quality small to mid-sized ratchet strap like this unbranded, thirty year old strap. The webbing is slightly over 3/32” thick!!
932DED09-26C0-4FA8-85F5-A7D183447225.jpeg
B847FB76-114A-477D-87AE-5DE7A49059D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning . I've purchase some smaller straps and vehicle tie downs from these people and have been very happy !

Thanks!

Dan K.

My straps stay in the sun frequently.

UV resistance is an important quality for longevity, which is not really evident.

By the time the buckles are getting beat up, the webbing is no longer full strength, ime.

Supposedly, Henry Ford sent people to investigate what parts never wore out from being overbuilt. Supposedly, he tried to more closely match longevity.

Thanks for the links @dank11 and @Tree09
Probably ordering two boxes of ratchet straps from USA ratchet. The one you linked Kyle is who I ordered my crane slings from. Very good turn around time from them considering the slings are made when ordered

Back