The Official Work Pictures Thread

#maximalist how do you feel being tied into those old regrowth sprouts? Ever had one that looked like it wanted to peel away?

The Maasdam is rated for a max pull of 1500. Is that accurate? Never used one but doesn’t seem like enough pull to drag a 5000lb tree
When are you dragging 5000 pounds of tree?

1500 plus additional MA will do it.

A maasdam pulling on a 2:1, pulling on a 3:1 (6:1) should get you about 5k, thinking about friction.

Edit: that should lift that 5000 pound tree off the ground.

Bent handles are from overloading. I have a bent handle on my old one. The owners manual indicates such.

A strong person with feet against a tree can overload it, if you really try.

Great points! I didn’t think about incorporating MA with the maasdam. The tree I took down was a pretty thick trunk could have easily been 3000lbs of wood before considering ground friction of crippling and pulling the stem. I see how y’all are achieving so much with the tool, I like it 😁 time to go spend more money lol

I don't quite follow what is meant by cripple and winch, as I am having trouble sussing out the work site.

Slings and biners aren't as good as pulleys but I think even those can gain MA. Small pulleys can do a lot to magnify a hand powered pull.

Deflecting a taut line sideways magnifies the force. Free, and gear-free.

@TreeMuggs has a rope-only MA video.

The Maasdam has a 10:1 MA effect built in itself. So that's function of what you can give on your feet and I doubt that you can pull much more over 900 with it, surely not 1500. You can't pull your own weight horizontally.
I didn't bent the handle, but dammaged the rope by the friction on the drum. I see like a no man's land here between the practical use and the claim of what it can achieve.
But still a fantastic tool.

Edit : I didn't read it wright the first time, but that seems matching my estimation.
A maasdam pulling on a 2:1, pulling on a 3:1 (6:1) should get you about 5k, thinking about friction.

Last edited:
At 10:1 you're only pulling 150#. That's easily achievable. I'm pretty sure I've been close to handle failure a couple times. Speaking of the handle, watch out for that damned plastic cover. That thing likes to slip off, and it'll wreck your hand pretty good if the metal bar catches your hand on the way by.

I consistently setup my Maasdam in 3 to one situations for trees, trucks, whatever. Set up slings for block and Maasdam on same support tree, run rope from victim through block, then tie Alpine Butterfly on original run, and set biner/pulley to make 3:1 back to Maasdam. Everything but the longer rope for it sits in a 5gal. bucket. Easy peasy.

I just did some hedge trimming out of a cherry picker with the Stihl extended/adjustable hedge trimmer...lordy it's awkward and a full upper body/core workout.
You'd be fit after finishing all those trees!

Back