The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Thanks for the welcome @SeanKroll @lxskllr @BeerGeek and @stikine .
I'm kinda stoked, I totally ascended a rope for the first time and trimmed part of one of my oak trees yesterday. Its was a great experiance and I look forward to spending more time loving on my trees.
I used a miccoachan hitch for my personnal stay and my
foot strap and repelled down with a figure 8. I spent about an hour in the canopy and peaked around 30' or so. Real comfy up there

What are you using for gear? Saddle, rope, hitch cord, hardware...?

It's a blast getting into a tree without using machines or scaffolding, isn't it? :^)

@lxskllr
I got a Samson rope In 11.4 and some 8mm utility line, some cheap harness that will def get an upgrade. I have 5 good carabiners and a figure 8.
So not a lot of gear but I do subscribe to K.I.S.S. I tested out some prussik hitchs but found them to clench tight and slip a little so for now its the Miccoacan. I like the performance of the meesh. Next I need a lanyard and a good folding pruner and I'll be set for a bit. My pruner is scetchy at best lol
hey @flushcut
Y'all have a great day, Rick

You might want to consider a hitch tending pulley. Streamlines ascent for about $20, or much more depending on pulley, but a $20 pulley works fine.

Post a picture and we'll help you out.

You should be able to ascend and descend on the same hitch. Needing to change to a figure-8 (should be backed-up with a friction hitch or "fireman's belay) so that there is not a chance to make the express trip to the ground). A lot of people are injured while descending.

Consider a tube-style friction saver for ease when climbing with a moving rope system.

Welcome Rick! These guys and gals have been a blessing to me this last year or so I’ve been around. Not sure which Samson rope your using that’s 11.4mm but I absolutely love my epicord. On my yale blue moon 11.7mm I run a 28in with a 4 wrap Michoacán. Holds my 170lbs plus gear and I only get a 1in sit back when using a hitch climber pulley. It’s my go to mrs/Ddrt set up.

hey @pigwot and @TINYHULK ,Thanks for the welcome, I'm outside of Luling in south central Texas. As far as a tending pully, I'll get one sooner then later. My knots wwould need to be reconfigured for me to use one. I have been tying the double fishermans and would most likely need to go with the scaffold bend. That would be more convienient anyway.
I can't wait for the coming weekend to get back up in there. I'll take my phone and get y'all some pictures of my trees. This is an old pic of the one I did some work in.
Be good, Rick 6EDDC321-0154-4812-BBAE-E84553BBE15D.jpeg

I have alot to learn about prunning, Thanks for pointing out this very important detail. I'll make it a priority on my quest to study up on how to do things.
For now its all about trimming sucker branches and rubbs. I want to help my trees be health and I think these two things will be good for them and I dont believe it can harm anything.
I'll make sure and carry ISO with me to clean my saw.

Back