The Official Random Video Thread!

I'm getting close to doing this myself.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl1ujzRidmU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl1ujzRidmU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

I think that what he did might be cathartic but won't have the desired effect on his daughter. She'll see the video and destroyed laptop as further proof of her oppression by her folks. She won't feel ownership for what she did. She'll just wallow in victimhood.

I agree with Darin that a too-strict parent will often result in the child rejecting the idea of discipline altogether and assuming the role of a victim rather than the intended result. My personal experience matches this.

I don't think he did it for the girl, but for himself. You could tell how completely exasperated he was. Total disbelief of her attitude. I would say he was at the end of his rope, and that's how he chose to deal with it.

It is easy to sit here and point the finger at bad parenting, but here is one puzzling observation I have come to realize over the years. A kid can turn out bad with the "best" of parents (whatever that is), and some kids still turn out good with the worst of parents. If someone will please explain that to me.

Can't drive in the snow? Take a lesson from this guy!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KfOEJ-HZ1-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the guy in the video is probably a good guy and a good father, clearly he cares and that's a lot. I think every parent has a moment where they want to flip out and either destroy or throw away something of their kids in front of them. Messy room? No problem, I'll throw away every single toy I find that's not put away. The problem is when you flip out, they flip out and any chance for a teachable moment is lost.

They say a kid is mostly molded by 5 years right. Whylie my youngest is almost 5 so my parenting is done......;)

Going to run off with the mistress now:D

It can be difficult sometimes, but I believe that parental decisions can be better made if you can control your temper and think about what might best be done, from a serene place. Get pissed and raise a riot, even shoot holes in things, if you think it is what is needed, not from letting your emotions carry you away. Kind of an ideal, I guess. Kids can be easy targets for an adult's stress, there is too much of that unfairness in the world. Good to break the cycle at some point. Discipline via intelligence is what is most needed, imo. Sometimes you can only wait for kids to grow up and out of certain behavior, as well. Good intentions sometimes isn't enough.

i think nature plays a bigger part than many would like to think. i grew up with a step dad who had a bad temper and a similar "tough" parenting style. all that did for me was loose any respect i had for the good things he had to teach, and i dislike him to this day. glad i dont have kids, cause i dont know if i could do any better if i had a wild one.

Odd, it seems often the case that when people are smart enough to have kids and raise them wisely, the parents would be too old.

Back