The Art and Science of Practical Rigging vs. TCIA Best Practices for Rigging in Arboriculture.

the art and science of practical rigging is a shameful piece of garbage that has close to zero practical application in the field.

TCIA best practices for rigging in arboriculture has a good deal of valuable information. Between to the two, it's much better... it has some problems, but worth reading

I have ASPR too. Good infos and I dig the drawings.
But what I don't like is it's presented as a support for schooling, with the intended items to learn for the "student" at the begining of each chapter and a bunch of questions and multiple choice answers at each chapter's end. You can actually use that and send it by mail to get a certification. As is everyone would play honestly and not cheat. That left me a bad tast. This apears as a compleet waste of place which could have been usefully filled with more details about the different subjects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, I don't have any experience with either book you mentioned. I would highly recommend Gerry Beranek's Fundamentals of General Tree Work. The tools have changed over the years but the principles and techniques are still much the same.
Great suggestion.
My old worn copy of The Fundamentals has been a constant companion for years. I need to revisit the sections on rigging. Also, this suggestion has led me to order the video series from Wesspur. I look forward studying that this winter.

Thanks to the three of you who recommended ASPR. It is available new on eBay. If I can find a bargain on used copy I will definitely be getting it.
B7D00B04-ABAC-47CB-B209-6237D4048663.jpeg

Last edited:
I have ASPR, , don't know why Dan is bagging on it. It's full of standard techniques that should be common knowledge for a working arborist. Good illustrations.
just look at the cover photo... fishing pole technique on a horizontal limb.... I mighty have used that once in 40 years... that's how practical it is.

Maybe you should work outside of Philly. I would say I don’t use that trick often but it does happen. 1 in 20 trees.
Funky trees no other favorable rigging points, targets. I have one coming up that I’ll have to rig damn near the whole tree like that all the way down to a short stubb. I have a crane in the wind but we need permission from the neighbor to do so. It’s looking like no crane is my gut feeling.

Since I helped write TCIA's BMP on Rigging Manual (along with other very knowledgeable riggers), I think that it's a great resource AND the second edition will be out soon.

Art and Science of Practical Rigging is great as well but Jerry's Fundamentals Book is THE Bible to use, for sure!

Anybody here ever meet Peter Donzelli? Any insights on the man?

The previous owner of my Hobbs lowering device died when a tree he was rigging failed below him. Steve Cirucci was his name.
I use the fishing pole technique frequently on sketchy trees.
And I think of Steve once in awhile too.

I get you're making reference to Donzelli's fate, similar failure, purportedly a groundie mistake triggered a weak trunk spot.
I managed to (accidentally) duplicate one of his measurements showing 20% higher tension in one side of the rope going through a standard rigging point pulley, Since then he's piqued my interest.

The only time I've ever heard of anybody local breaking a tree out underneath them was because the tree had a bad spot of decay and when the log swung back into the tree from being rigged it hit the bad spot

that's a major consideration that is rarely understood.

That's generally what gives you the most amount of wild rides from taking out tops as well.

it's not so much when the weight comes on the rope as when the log or top swings back and slams into the trunk

I got Jerry’s Working Climber video series and the TCIA Best Practices for Rigging book. Both of them served as a good reminder to me that I can’t learn this solely from books or videos!! To me the videos seemed much more helpful. The videos demonstrated a lot of techniques clearly and provided practical tips constantly. I was sort of pleased and sort of disappointed that most of the content in the TCIA book has been well discussed already here in the Tree House. Still valuable since the info is organized in one place with some professional illustrations.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on two ways TCIA suggests to rig stronger than this first illustration. F815B74A-DCFA-47FB-B4C1-1763A1770FBA.jpeg

What situations/conditions would lead you to choose one or the other? All things being equal is one stronger??

I think if the guy line is tensioned, it's closing the gap in performance but the two block has a better "down rope" vector situation, going in line with the far lead and the main trunk. IMO In a practical sense achieving tension in the guy would be a pita, whereas the two blocks automates the setting of tension levels.

Back