Stump Grinders

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I used to own a Carlton 2400 ages ago, since then I have subbed out most of my grinding or rented one of the Barreto machines at the rental yard 100 yards from my place. I am looking to get a grinder again for small and medium stumps, the bigger ones I am going to still farm out. We are looking Carlton SP5014 TRX, Rayco RG37T and maybe a Rayco RG55T which is more horses and more money. We can afford to pay more and get the RG55T but it would cut into next winter’s emergency nest egg. We want either a swing out control panel or remote, tracks are nice but not a necessity. We want to be able to get through 36” gates. Any thoughts?

Have you considered the Bandit ZT1844? I was in a similar market looking for a small machine a couple years go.. the ZT1844 was the winner by far for me in terms of bang for buck. If it had a remote control, it would be hard to beat for most folks in that size class/price range.

Mick has a fairly new, small rayco he likes, as does Deva (where's he been lately?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl, we looked at the ZT1844 but the lack of a blade and the backlog on new machines put us off of it. I think they are out 6 to 8 weeks on new machines.

diesel would be highly preferable but afaik, rayco stopped making small diesels for USA due to enviro regs.

I recommend prioritizing a remote controlled machine. The remote has the option of keeping the operator out of the elements and makes the work much more enjoyable.

Examples:
-We have operated the grinder from the bobcat in the rain before.
-Operator can get out of the dust or into the nearby shade to grind.

I considered gas, but eventually decided to keep all diesel in my small fleet, so I ended up with a RG45XR last year, which took a little searching to find.

That is probably a great machine, where'd ya find it?

I bought it from a tree co in Alabama. It had about 250hrs on it.

Aside from a very odd shaped fuel filter/water separator that was hard to find, the machine has been fairly trouble free.

Just curious if you know why they gave up a relatively new grinder? Maybe too small for their purposes?

Carl, I was referring to the AL treeco who sold their rayco to bigtwig.

Bigtwig, I have a rayco rg50 for small or no-access stumps, and for chasing a lot of roots, and a 752 for all the big stuff. Agree the 752/852 is a great machine. Its hell on wheels for large stumps with no roots to chase.

I've been happy with my 652. But any stumper with a mini and BMG scoops is the shit for stump clean up. I charge double for clean up and another time and material for dirt.

Carl, I was referring to the AL treeco who sold their rayco to bigtwig.

Bigtwig, I have a rayco rg50 for small or no-access stumps, and for chasing a lot of roots, and a 752 for all the big stuff. Agree the 752/852 is a great machine. Its hell on wheels for large stumps with no roots to chase.

I sold my ZT1844 with under 30 hours on something like 17 months after I bought it, it averaged better than $200/hr though. And I sold it for what I paid for it or slightly more.

I have the Tracked RG37..... amazing machine for me, here.
maybe if I were in Boise I’d be all over the RG55 with a remote over the 37...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ended up with the same as you Deva. Just got dropped off Friday all shiny and new.

Back