SRT base tie for safety retreival

Broncman

Treehouser
Just starting SRT and I climb alone a lot. My wife is always there to call for help if needed. On weekends I have help but rec climb after work a lot.

I want to set up my base tie so I can be lowered if something happens. The options I see on YouTube are pretty gear heavy and some are confusing.

Any pointers to a simple method? Right now I am trying to climb on enough rope left at the base to lower me, but that takes a lot of rope. My wife climbs some as well, so I want a system easy for her to learn in case she has to show someone how to safely let me down!

We live about an hour from the Arborist that was found dead hanging from the tree this summer in South Carolina and just wanting a good backup plan . She freaked out a little over that!

Broncman,

Climbing Arborist on YouTube has a great video showing several methods of base ties for SRT climbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XpRZ-PaBA

Nick Bonner demonstrated a simple system that allows for lowering of a climber, provided the climber is not stuck in a crotch, or doubled in on his lanyard.

Set your favorite base tie method, then tie two alpine butterfly knots just above your base tie. These two alpine butterfly knots serve as a built in safety system. Should the climber need to be lowered, the person on the ground could quickly attach another line. The top butterfly knot is attached directly to the end of the rescue line. The bottom butterfly knot is attached to a figure eight descender via a carabiner. The rescue line is passed through the descender and locked off. At this point the climber's rope is cut between the two alpine butterfly knots and the load is then transferred to the rescue line.

Hope this helps.

Joel

Broncman,

I should mention here that the method used for locking off the rescue line must be able to be removed from the figure eight descender when under load.

Another option would be to use a prusik friction hitch in place of a figure eight descender.

Joel

Broncman,

It is extremely important to plan ahead using this method. It is impossible to tie an alpine butterfly knot into a loaded line. Place these butterfly knots in your climbing rope prior to ascending the tree. You may never need them, but they are there waiting to be attached to a rescue rope should the need arise.

A rescue kit can be placed at the base of the tree for rapid deployment. Don't forget to place a sharp folding knife in the rescue kit.

Joel

If South Sound was here he'd tell you about the munter mule, which is easy and needs only a biner and a length of rope.

Myself I don't trust any groundie to lower me safely. As mentioned, most likely I'd be lanyarded or second climb line tied, so I'm fooked.

I believe Graeme's method may be the simplest and can be helpful for you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QhIKI0AhzIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I totally agree. Use Graeme McMahon's method and you can't go wrong.

Also remember when setting an SRT Basal Anchor system, stick with the KISS principle. There are way too many people out there promoting extremely complicated lowering systems when there is absolutely no need for them.

Agreed, keep it SIMPLE. Most of that stuff on youtube is unnecessarily complicated.
I climb SRT and mostly base tie.
If I am going to set a rescue system, I set up the alpine b'fly one.

Set up the system with her favourite valuable items up to your weight suspended from the tree, watch her safely bring them down. Then you're good to go.

I use a Whoopie Sling and a Figure 8 with a hard lock, 2 half hitches and a carabiner on the end clipped back on to itself. Kinda overkill but easily lowerable and safe.

Attachments

• 20161111_101840.jpg
    20161111_101840.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 44
Yes sir. It's Ben. Hey Butch. Thank you very much. This looks like a nice place. I've been reading through the threads. Already learned a lot. Looks like a nice bunch of guys.

Well I do now. Thanks a lot. Lol. I'm gonna have to change my handle. That's what my wife calls me cause I play the banjo. And my name's Ben. So it kinda stuck.

I just use that setup if I forsee needing lowered. Which i usually don't. Most of the time it's just a Bowline with Yosemite tie off or an Alpine Butterfly with a screw link.

Looks like a musical bunch here. I'll start reading through that one next. We played 2 shows this weekend. I was on bass most of the time. I see you're in Louisiana. My wife was born at Barksdale.

If you're going to have a lowerable base tie, at least that one is pretty simple. Nice.
Welcome to the 'house :)

Back