Smithsonian Mag.

• Thread starter ClimbingFool
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 2K
C

ClimbingFool

I don't know if you folks have seen this pic or not, but this is Gerry B. coming out of a 300' Redwood called the Henry Tree. We climbed it for the Smithsonian Magazine in 2002.. Fun project.

CCF04232012_00001.jpg

CCF04232012_00000.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ten years ago. Wow, how time flies.

Yes it does fly...For some reason those pictures were laying on my desk when I got back from Tahoe training. I guess my wife was digging through some photos and put them out.

Greg gave me a beautify framed picture of the Henry tree with me at the top, Andy Taylor in the middle and Greg himself hanging off on the low side of the tree in space. Louie Syhoius, greek and misspelled, took the photo. We remained in those respective positions for nearly 5 hours as the sun change the lighting. Louie took over 500 pictures in that time. Film.

I gave that framed picture to the corporate forester that did the paperwork for us do all this on their lands. It was like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. As Greg said, "Fun project"

12 years before this I had two misadventures with the Henry tree. Both failed attempts to reach its top. On one the fellow that was following me up froze at 160 feet, and I had bail on the climb to get him down. On the other episode the fellows that were going to climb with me never even left the ground. After I fliplined the tree 170 feet and set the rope for them to ascend up using SRT. I was pissed on that one.

But the last time with Greg and Andy at the tree there was no problems. It took 12 years to do it. I'll tell you what, it's great to have real professionals to work with.

So Louis Psihoyous took those pictures.
No wonder they turned out so well.
That mispelled Greek ( I'm not sure I got it right!) has taken some fantastic tree pictures.
Whish i could have climbed that with you, even if I'd have frozen at 160 feet:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol....Stig, I doubt you would have froze....But I see how some would. That tree stands alone along side a skid road with a canyon beside it. not only is it three hundred feet tall but,with the canyon to one side makes it seem even taller.

That it does, Greg. If the Henry tree stood in a grove amongst others it would not be so intimidating to the green horns. But in the setting that it stands it is pure awesome and breath taking to climb.

Back