Same Chain on Multiple Saws

brendonv

Tree Hugger
My friends father is in the excavation business. They have more saws than they need, and they don't know how to use them. They go through chains faster than you can blink, and a big surprise, they don't know how to sharpen them either. :roll:

He's got a Stihl 026, 024AV, 290, and a 038.

Husky 365

I'd like to swap all them over to run 3/8 chain, I'll order him a reel of Oregon and spin him over a dozen chains.

What's the easiest way to go about doing so? I'm pretty sure I'd need to get new sprockets, and bars.

Baileys?

Prolly. No sense getting top shelf stuff if they aren't going to bother sharpening it.

The Stihl ES bars aren't that expensive. Be sure to compare prices before ordering Oregon bars. And of course somebody at your father's business will have some anecdotal evidence that some particular brand is either the best available or absolute junk, and will make your purchasing decision that much harder. Good luck!

Check Baileys for the cheapo bar and chain combos. Sometimes you can the arbormaster or arborpro bars with a loop real reasonable. If they are gonna cook chains and bars... Then the sprockets can be had there too.

The 026 won't be all that happy with 3/8's chain, but in this case I'd say go for it also. That should also be the only one that needs a sprocket, the others should be 3/8's already.
I'd also look at the arbor pro and woodland bars, and arbor pro chain, again, whatever is cheapest!
I don't know Brian, but if they aren't smart enough to know how to sharpen chain, and unwilling to learn, I doubt there will be a saw snob involved. I get the feeling they do good to put gas and oil in them, I doubt the do much research on them!

Why 3/8 chain?
.325 seems a better bet to me.
Easier to fit a larger saw with a smaller chain than the other way round.

stig is right. Run .325 on all the saws. The 024, 026 already have .325 and for a saw that small thats all they can handle, especially when they are probably not modded performance wise.
The 365 and 038 can be easily outfitted with a standard spline bore .325 rim and replace the bar noses from 3/8 to .325.
The 290 is the odd ball here with its small spline rim, the 024 026 are mini spline and the 365, 038 are standard spline.
Willard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's got other bigger saws, not mentioned as they already have 3/8.

So the 026 is the only one that needs bar/sprocket changing?

The 024 will most likely also be set up with .325. I've seen the 026 set up either way, the 029 usually has 3/8".

Those little saws will run 3/8 just not as well as they would .325 .

It seems to me as I might have jockied parts around at one time and used a clutch drum that had the standard size spline rather than the Stihl mini .When I did so it also took changing the bearing .Stihl mini and Oregon mini BTW are not the same .

Somehow or another that damned drum ended up after the shuffle on my 034/036 hybred with a 3/8" . Jeeze after I dig through a pile of parts it's hard to remember what came from what when I build a saw from parts and pieces .

I have Stihl 026 #s here with rim sprocket kit 3/8" 7T #1121 007 1035 , rim sprocket 3/8" 7T #0000 642 1231.
If you want LoPro 3/8": rim sprocket kit 3/8" Picco 8T #1121 007 1005 , rim sprocket 3/8" Picco 8T #0000 642 1241
Willard.

I run the same chain from 026- 066, actually one 090 has it too, I don't multiple rolls of chain laying around

Now that I think about it common sense tells me brendonv's buddies will only use the 024-026 for limbing and brushing anyways. So run 3/8" standard on all the saws they have.
Like I said earlier run the [Stihl#0000 642 1231] standard 3/8" mini spline rims on the 024/026, the 290 would take the small spline 3/8" 7T- Bailey's Oregon# 0RF 18720.
The beauty about Stihl bars is all models from 024 to 066/660 fit the same bar pad, just make sure all sprocket noses are 3/8.

Willard.

I added better explanation on my last post, "all model's from 024 to 066/660 fit the same bar pad.
But I do have a 17" -.404 big mount Stihl bar for my 090AV. Imagine that versatile matchup. A saw for a muscle bound dwarf.
Willard:lol:
I'll post a pic tomorrow.

:lol:
I do have a 17" -.404 big mount Stihl bar for my 090AV. Imagine that versatile matchup. A saw for a muscle bound dwarf.
Willard:lol:
I'll post a pic tomorrow.
Here it is as promised. What a combo 17" b/c on a Stihl 090AV:lol:
I'm restoring this 090, this is the 2nd 090 I have owned since brand new. All it needs to finish the resto is a new top handle hose and a new handguard. I put new top covers and rewind housing on [not cheap]. The new top covers are the 1 name tag style. My old 2 tags won't fit these new covers as you can see if you zoom in.
I'm offering a high dollar to anyone who will sell me a 1 tag style Stihl 090Av top cover name tag new or in good shape.Part# 1106 967 1503
This 090 has under 250 hrs on it. I should have put the huge dual dogs back on to make a more impressive photo.
Willard.
Husqvarna 272XP 001.jpg

I bet it runs like an aped rape!
haha....aped what?
You could sit on the saw while cutting a small log with that short bar and the chain will keep on going. Its a old bar I used in my earliest days of racing with my 1st 090. I remember I used that bar to break in the 090 on the job cutting pulpwood. My fellow loggers thought I was crazy working with that big old brute......but then I was just a young kid at the time.
Willard.

Here is a photo when I was that 18 yr old kid with my 1st 090 in my hometown competition, and yes it did cut like a aped rape.
Willard:lol: scan0007.jpg

Back