Rolling vs. swinging

Can't say I saw much movement.

Lots of gimmick cuts can generate different reactions from the tree. But the biggest problem with the whole concept is that the degree of movement one gets is almost impossible to quantify beforehand.

If I cannot be pretty sure what's going to happen when I do X, Y, and Z with the saw, I'm not real enthusiastic about starting down that road.

I probably should had added, that if things go wrong, it can change a nice trick shot into Russian Roulette in short order.
Best used in lowest risk scenario.

I’ve always enjoyed the climb first and then the felling of the spar. There’s a slight sadness when it’s straight to the drop. Granted, it’s not as exciting / challenging to drop a 20’ stick.

If you really wanted to manipulate that tree, setting a high stump, so you moved into straight fiber, would have been a good idea.

Burnham is going to love this post :lol:

Only basic spurs n flipline demolition.
Remotely, preset climb lines let you climb then sit in your saddle to cut, climb, sit, cut, climb, sit, cut.

I stand in spurs as needed, mostly on the way down, unless i can set the rope in another tree.

Standing in spurs requires good boots, especially the heavier the climber is.

I fluctuate from 180 to higher 180s, then add a saddle, hand saw and chainsaw, slings and biners or rigging gear and rigging rope, water bottle snack, possibly a hatchet-handle size ax and wedges,... it adds up. An easy 20 pounds if only using a small climbing saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remotely, preset climb lines let you climb then sit in your saddle to cut, climb, sit, cut, climb, sit, cut.

I stand in spurs as needed, mostly on the way down, unless i can set the rope in another tree.

Standing in spurs requires good boots, especially the heavier the climber is.

I fluctuate from 180 to higher 180s, then add a saddle, hand saw and chainsaw, slings and biners or rigging gear and rigging rope, water bottle snack, possibly a hatchet-handle size ax and wedges,... it adds up. An easy 20 pounds if only using a small climbing saw.
More respect for high climbers.

Any concern for the trailer? It didn't look that bad, but cycles to failure and all that.

I would consider a thicker hinge on a non-barberchair prone tree/ chain the trunk, and pull it, rather than cut it until failure, in order to ease it over.

It would be terrible to have sudden failure while driving that load.

Back