Rigging Rings?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Has anybody smashed or damaged one in a rigging operation? Excluding normal wear and tear. I don't have any situations in mind, double whip maybe, just asking.

I could definitely see that happening on double whip if it got smashed between the piece and the tree or hard ground. Otherwise it’s probably hard to do, barring outright abuse.
That type of aluminum is gonna crack or break, rather than bend or deform, right?

Today I spliced up a bend right ring on 1/2 tenex. Ultra sling. Id like to see what it would handle. I figured the tenex would break before the ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are probably right but should you happen to smash the ring.....

Smashed a ring last week. Not standard rigging, it was set at 50' and I decided to fell the spar instead. Have gotten away with it before on soft ground, but the lay was straight granite. No big deal, $25 max to replace.

Ring shattered one edge, still intact center opening

Ouch.

But of course, as we all know, rigging gear is always going to be wearing out and needing replacement. Sometimes it's wear over time, sometimes it's killed right this moment.

Either way, a resource that will never be a forever asset.

Last edited:
Just perusing, it appears that ring doesn't have a fully rounded rope path and seems to have edges and a flat through the center. Is that so?

Doesn't it raise some thought that it ought to be fully rounded? Other rings seem to be.

Back