Retirement/ selling biz

21 years this Thanksgiving for full, i doubt I'll go that long but we'll see. I'll be 62, but I'm sure they'll move the goalposts again :lol: I doubt I'll be welding that late in the game but I'll still be working.

Mine, too.
After our failed attempt to emigrate to California, my x-wife and I started from zero ( what the Germans called:"Stunde null")
That at the time when most of our friends had a nice pension saved up.
So I can afford to retire, but I"ll be fairly poor.
So I'll work as long as I can.
I've promised my new apprentice to hang on till she graduates.
By then I'll be 70.

Well, Burn told us, remember that thread? It was a good one.

Kyle, I had no idea you were 62, I seriously put you much much younger. I don’t know why, kind of like picturing some one you have talked to then meet them in person and think, that’s not what I though they looked like.

I have been working from home for about 2 years. I had a medical issue that I’ve gotten through and just decided I enjoy being home instead of at the office. Still working, just from home

Part of our retirement plan is selling our business and we have come VERY close twice. Once the buyer backed out within minutes of the deal and really, just recently, it happened again. So, I guess when it’s time, it will sell. ? Who knows, we are looking at our options and holding steady.

I'm only 40, 62 is our full pension retirement age. I have 21 years left working. Lol sorry for the confusion!

I’ll do trees as long as physically possible and plan on retiring from plumbing at 65 I believe. We have a plan but I forgot about it because it is such a long way off. If some miracle were to happen and I can get into trees full time for the money I’m currently making, we’ll have to make adjustments.

I am going to semi retire in 3 years if possible. Ill be 65. Probably take on a part time job or do a little chain sharpening type service while cherry picking jobs. If I get all my ducks in a row, I can have the Deere ready to do driveway grading etc.
I need to stay busy. I want a hand in tree stuff till about 72 and reassess.

75 in May. Didn't really plan on stopping but had to move from Sydney in 2015 and started up again here and was still going back down working a couple of months then back here.
Got a bit sick of that so was just doing local work but had enough at 72. Started at 16, had a break from tree work for 6 years in the 70's so 50 years of trees was enough really.
I don't go looking for work but still do anything that comes in, got one 50 acre property out of town that calls every few months and one in town that I do a bit on every couple of weeks and the odd job here and there.
Plenty to do around here anyway, got my own trees to look after.

For years I though ‘re-tire-ment’ just meant putting new rubber on the work truck’s wheels 🙂!!

Karen retired after 41 years of teaching, and my plan to go another ten years turned into:
“ Wait, we can travel any time we want?!? F-that work stuff”.

I worked 52 years, from when I was 13 years old, hired by a local bicycle shop until I did not renew my business license and canceled my insurance this past December 31st.

I still do occasional crane days with David. But that’s more for the fun of working with a great group of folks.

Aging issues make it harder to bust ass for a solid 8 to 10 hour day. Glad I don’t need to do that five days a week.

I still keep my nursing license current by doing pro-bono home health care with the elderly. That way if the doomsayers are correct and everything collapses I can still get work at an ICU or ER. When our youngest sustained a serious burn over the holidays the attending MD at the local ER asked me to consider coming back as staffing is absurdly deficient.

Our retirement funds took a big dive in value with Covid, but have rebounded these past two years. Still, we decided to sell our former home that we had been renting out (to avoid the capital gains tax) and live frugally on that money for four to five years and not draw any from the retirement nest egg while it is recovering.

Electricity is our biggest expense as the mortgage is paid off. We plan to add solar this year to defray that cost (well, trade paying the municipality for payments on the system!).
We spent years eating rice and beans and tofu and growing our veggies, and with Celiac Disease we rarely ever eat out, so our
food expenses are quite low.

We’ll hold off on taking social security for three years when we’re both 70 to maximize the amount we’ll get.

Okay, it’s time to ‘retire’ to the wood shop. Been building cabinets for organizing my tools.
6E9FD1A9-53DB-403A-A352-CB401AEBD240.jpeg

84D950DA-8FB4-4942-8F11-7CB3515CCDF0.jpeg

843DC463-E87A-4E65-A382-2F3B5D9C23A9.jpeg 8DAF67DA-0BFD-4522-A43C-6A76562BA65D.jpeg

Attachments

• 53D393E9-1ACB-4EEF-9FBC-4ED7805D076D.jpeg
    53D393E9-1ACB-4EEF-9FBC-4ED7805D076D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
My goal is 50. I'm currently dealing with 4 people interested in buying my tree service, which is fine with me honestly, I make better money with my friends catering company, and I honestly prefer working on cars and stuff. Guess we'll see what the future holds.

Do you spray/PHC? If no, what is there to sell aside from equipment?

Back