Repurposing gear.

Bad dog!
Could probably put it all back together with some 1/2” or 3/4” flat webbing.
That looks pretty useful though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Burnham we will see. I was doing a crane job last week that this might have helped with. The tree was very vined. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

I've done the ascender on spikes a few times, usually when I have a part of a tree to remove and tie in points are scarce, but I'm saving the rest of the tree. It gets me past the bit I am keeping without putting spike wounds in it. Once I'm done, remove my spikes and finish pruning.

Some of the gaff covers look pretty usable, and I've thought of getting some, but reviews aren't that great, and they're expensive. Seems they break easily. I wanted some that stayed on the spur, but could easily be kicked off when needed; mainly for walking on hard surfaces when I inevitably forget a piece of gear after putting the spurs on. Some time I'll have to put some thought into it, and see if I can make my own.

I like that hose idea. I don't think it would work to walk in them, but that would be a good start for a mod. The ones I have now are the bottom end leather sheaths that velcro to the shank. They're fine for transport, but they'd get torn apart walking with them on the spur.

I'll admit i just finally bolted mine on i bought last year. I would love a wraptor, and should probably get one soon, but I'm not there yet. For years I've tucked a foot ascender under the spur and rocked my knee spur on the other foot for full on rope walker, left on all day because you don't even really notice it while climbing. You just take your time and go super slow and calm and there's no issue. It's alot like 3 point climbing, but even safer because of the no potential of a fatal fall, just a bad cut. You also have to have your system down perfectly, and is always right there ready to go. I also wear heavy leather boots, which minimize the risk a bit more. Most of the time its a i need to go 15 to 30 feet like walking up a set of stairs rather than an awkward spur climb. My heavy reliance on a full rope walker setup (complete with chest harness for arms free climbing lol) is probably why I'm not supremely comfortable on spurs, although I'm getting better in time. I also climb in spreading hardwoods rather than marching up through sap everyday like others do, where spurs are mandatory. I used to do my removals spurless until i was to the trunk wood, and honestly I've done a few those standing on a limb rather than getting spurs on.

I like that hose idea. I don't think it would work to walk in them, but that would be a good start for a mod. The ones I have now are the bottom end leather sheaths that velcro to the shank. They're fine for transport, but they'd get torn apart walking with them on the spur.
This gaff guard design was never intended for walking. In fact, the USFS sop is to only put your spurs on at the base of the tree to be climbed, and to only move as minimally as possible from your touchdown before removing said spurs. That guard is only intended for storage and transport duty...at which it excels.

I don't need to go on again about serious self injuries I have seen or know about, do I?

Like Fiona, I also do the ascender under my spurs occasionally on those big ass oaks/maples with the one large/long lead the custy wants removed due to threatening structure, roadway and/or people. Never been a problem related to gaffing myself, and I do wear 8" high boots to help protect that vulnerable shin/foot area.

This gaff guard design was never intended for walking. In fact, the USFS sop is to only put your spurs on at the base of the tree to be climbed, and to only move as minimally as possible from your touchdown before removing said spurs. That guard is only intended for storage and transport duty...at which it excels.

I don't need to go on again about serious self injuries I have seen or know about, do I?
Yea, but reality is I'm gonna forget something, and have to fetch it, and taking the spurs off for a 5 second trip is a pita. I'm not at all worried about my safety. My goal is protecting my points. I can concentrate enough for a few seconds that I won't stab myself, especially if I don't have to waddle like a penguin trying to keep the points off the ground.

Back