Purpose of dynamic cabling system

• Thread starter Bounce
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K

What is the purpose of a dynamic cabling system?

• To prevent broken parts of the tree from hitting the ground

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

Bounce

I'm interested in hearing everybody's opinion on what the purpose of a dynamic cabling system is. I always thought the purpose was to limit the range of motion of two parts of a tree away from each other in order to reduce the liklihood of either part breaking out. But in this thread over at TB (http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=255750&an=0&page=0#255750) Treespotter seems to think the purpose is just to catch the branch after it has broken to prevent it from hitting the ground.

When you sell a cabling system to your customer, what Do you tell them the purpose of the system is? To prevent the broken parts from hitting their house, or to prevent the tree from breaking apart in the first place?

It seems to me that if the purpose was to prevent the broken part from hitting a building, this would require you to know in advance where the break would occur, which seem unrealistic much of the time. Another reason this doesn't make sense to me is that if you had identified a weakness that might result in a branch breaking out and you were ok with the loss of this branch, then why not just remove the branch and not cable the tree? This would do a better job of reducing risk to lives and property below than just tying off the part likely to break out. Removing the branch would also avoid the poorly compartmentalized wound that a break causes by making a proper pruning cut instead. Am I just hallucinating? Or does this seem plain wrong?

Sorry to post and run, but I gotta go. I'll try to check in on this tomorrow.

Heh, just looking at my poll results so far and it reminds of John Lithgow's line from the movie Home Grown. "I've thought about it and I agree with myself." :lol:

I have used it for both as it can be used for both and unlike steel systems, it is less likely to cause the limb to fail.

I would climb and remove the broken parts...why leave them secured by a cable??? they are BROKEN ;) :) lol

never sold them for catching, actually had a customer call all p'd off cuz a branch failed in a storm that we had previously cabled(static). It was obvious that without the the cable, the lead would have landed in the yard, since it was cabled, it swung around and landed on the house.

Dynamic cable is preventative which allows the tree to move and put on reaction wood, helping the tree strengthen itself. Static is like a crutch the tree cannot move as well and will become dependent on the cable. . . . . that is a simplified story (as best I can remember) from Shigo

I believe in most cases that any cabling system is a band-aid for poorly managed trees. A friend in Oz, does in fact use static cables a fall arrest for some trees. Dynamic cable properly installed is un likely to prevent the piece from falling due to its position in the tree.

This is a great topic. Good luck!

I installed one with the dual purpose. I could'nt predict when(old Maple) leader would fail but I could predict that the house 1870's was in jeopardy if it did. Owner didnt want it gone (only shade) I look at it this way. You see one on the side of the road you know is questionable and you look at it every time you drive by, you know it will or should fail but it hangs on. So I say its a precautionary measure. So the easy sell was if it fails it will swing away with the cable instaled and with the prunning the dynamic cable would aid in the corrective structure untill the inevitable. Still installing dynamic with the hope it would'nt fail.
By the way great topic!

The majority of the experience I've had with cabling is installing static systems on trees that didn't need them but were sold through scare tactics. If the tree is really in danger of failure then prune it to reduce that risk of failure or remove it. I might see one or two trees per year that are verifiable cabling candidates and I'm usually cutting them down. Between the hurricane scares and our abundance of trees, most people seem to consider trees as a nuisance. And the older the customer, the more afraid they are of their trees.

But to answer the poll question, the real purpose of dynamic cabling is to separate customers from their money.

IMO The primary purpose of a dynamic cabling system should be to reduce the risk of failure. Catch capability is a potential additional benefit but preventing a tear out in the first place is better and a more reasonable application of the materials.

I would agree that it limits the range of motion. But between the two options you gave i had to go with to avoid a "Target" (would be a better wording). My understanding is that if there is a "likely hood" of failure or high risk of failure that a static system should be used. But if you looking at a union and saying you know its not the best but i'm going to protect the house "in case" of a failure the i would put a dynamic system in. The difference being that with a static system the tree becomes dependent on it and is necessary to hold the tree together (or to prevent failure). Were as a dynamic system allows the tree to grow naturally and move naturally but as you said limits the range of motion to the point of braking (hopefully) and in the event of a failure would protect a target.

Personally though, if there is no "target" in range i'm never going to recommend a cabling system! I would prefer to do end weight reduction and lighten the load on the limb, or begin the process of removing the branch or lead and continue reducing over a period of time (more of a structure pruning.)

just talked to someone the other day about static vs dynamic cabling re a tree I had assessed a few months ago. My premise was that dynamic was a good idea for a situation where responsive growth etc was expected to strengthen the questionable attachment and the static was better suited for a known fault that was unlikely to provide substantive corrective growth. The landowner so far hasn't decided. :)

I had a limb I cobra cabled break due to a side wind. It was a big four stem silver maple, and the cobra caught the piece and swung it back into the tree, keeping it from hitting a fence and the house.

It was a royal pain to unload the cobra cable, but the system held a huge stem. I was really impressed, even though I had to replace the cables. It was only the standard cobra too! I don't really bother with the beefier stuff. I'll put in a steel cable low, and a cobra up high if I'm that worried about it.

I think I remember posting pictures of the shock absorbers and spreaders. They were molded with the cobra's weave imprinted. It was crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But to answer the poll question, the real purpose of dynamic cabling is to separate customers from their money.

:lol: Dang it! I knew I was forgetting a choice when I was entering the poll options! No matter what the poll says, you are the only one to get the answer right Squish, including me. :lol:

Sean, did you just call me a Canuckian? :what: I think I'm slightly insulted. Everyone knows Canucks have no wit.

I heard that the europeans only use dynamic, They think we are caveman still using Static systems. I always hated cabling, but My company put in tons of both.

I don't think dynamic cables are all that dynamic, the range of movement with those shock absorbers is trivial. I don't think the self adjustment works all that well either, cobra trees should be inspected periodically.
I like the stuff for smaller trees and trees that are intact but at risk.

Cables ARE and excellent way to separate customers from their money but compared to takedowns, there's very little money in cables.

How about another voting option: to allow lawyers to sue us when said systems fail!

I just installed a system in a tree on Sunday. It was a 4 trunked oak tree. 3 of the trunk I cabled to eachother (see pic) and the fourth trunk was underneath one of the other trunks, so I just cabled those two together.

Though the property was huge, the actual back yard was quite tiny. If any trunk fell, it would either hit the pool, the fence, or the house (on this side of the house it was mostly glass).

I suggested the dynamic cable system to help prevent tree failure, not so much to catch something if it does fail.

If it catches something, I see that as an added bonus.

love
nick

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Back