Portawrap fatigue

Pelorus

TreeHouser
Purchased new from Vermeer c.1995
Long service life.
Failure observed after completion of job where no overloading or heavy shock loading occurred, so it surprised me to see this.
20210123_215055.jpg

Attachments

• 20210123_215112.jpg
    20210123_215112.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210123_214911.jpg
    20210123_214911.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for sharing!
Looks like it has been cracked for a while before failure so I'm guessing "that one time" was the beginning of the end. Long hard life I am sure.

WOW.
Good argument for checking and retiring gear cycles, that is outright scary !
Any thoughts on discoloration in break?
Any welder's thoughts out thar?
What are plans for this new art form?
>> manuf. mite be interested in at least pic and age if presented not threatening way
>>if trashing, might see what would take to bend open more first?
Does look like my original after added amon eye to nose with threaded pass thru Porty to base threads and extra nut for compression jig.
>>just made local laugh at me more when went by the only guy in town with slings, carabiners and colored ropes .
>>not wearing spikes seemed to make it worser

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the pink colour got transferred from 3/4" Stablebraid dead eye sling which the porty had tried unsucessfully to escape via the break. That is what caused it to get noticed.
A buddy of mine plans to take it to his work and have a machinist there shorten it and weld in a new amon eye.
Am going to retire it from heavy service anyway and use my Hobbs H2.

Before someone goes to town on it, see if you can spot progressive crack propagation on the break surface. Then it makes an even better story when you take off the mantle to show it off. In one class a prof showed a huge equipment snapped off axle, like foot or two dia and it progressively cracked off after a guy nicked it's surface with an oxy torch, just a tiny nick. Cool keepsake.

Back