Ötzi

That would be cool to be able to say that you were Oetzi's relative:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For sure!

Did you click the link that shows tourists hiking to the spot he was found, with Rheinlold Messner who is partly responsible for finding him? That would be awesome. It looked like they were at pretty high altitude.

I did. It looks like a very beautiful place, I saw one of the photos said 3300 meters in the corner.

Yeah the whole Oetzi thing is so mind blowing. It's about time they came up with a new discovery, seems to happen every couple years. We need a 'waiting' emoji

Interesting that he or someone else chose Yew wood for the handle of his axe. A beautiful wood that was favored for tools and religious artifacts also by native Americans that resided where it grows on the west coast. Yew is what you often find planted at old grave sites in Great Britain. Something special about that wood, though an evergreen, it takes on a beautiful shine when worked up to a polish, and feels very soft and smooth in your hands. There certainly are stronger and easier woods to work, the grain direction can really vary in a piece. In parts of Asia also a revered wood used to accent an important location in a residence where a scroll might be hung or a flower arrangement put to display. Cool to see certain human sensibilities about wood going way back.

Interesting info.

And to think 9,000 years before oetzi his predecessors had migrated across the land bridge to North America, and went south from there.

It's even more interesting that the oldest finding of that are found in South America.

It really is fascinating.

It is, Cory. Thank you for starting this thread, as we all need to be reminded once in a while of our natural history. Maybe understanding it can help explain some of the reasons why things are the way they are today. Maybe that's too deep.

For sure.

Part of the fascination of course is it's essentially impossible for us to appreciate what it was like to live back then, and also envisioning how totally impossible it would be for Otzi to believe how we live currently. And it's also pretty impossible to appreciate the concept of the 500 centuries that have passed since he died.

Yup, Jim, its all relative.

Gerr, what do you mean exactly about you can appreciate it?

And to think that at whatever time period, everyone thought we knew what was going on, and we were state of the art...

I wish I could see us ten centurys into the future!

tHSxndK.gif

Hey if we have more gadgets and good technology that would be great. I just would hope the earth wouldnt be trashed and overrun with humans, not much wide-open space left

Back