Oak Wilt

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I just learned that oak wilt causes an auto immune response which kills the tree. The tree is reacting to the fungal presence and sealing off its own vascular system in an effort to contain the pathogen. I never thought of trees having an auto immune disorder before.

Interesting. I wonder what mechanism seals it off, and if that could be suppressed with chemicals? If so, then what? I wonder if the fungus is fatal itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. I wonder what mechanism seals it off, and if that could be suppressed with chemicals? If so, then what? I wonder if the fungus is fatal itself.
I suppose it’s a hormone 🤷‍♂️. Perhaps we could look into how oak wilt is treated- the applied agent’s mechanisms. Is it an anti-fungal or a chemical blocker. Good question about the fungus being able to produce fatality.

Propiconazole. Antifungal. This is why it needs to be used prophylactically. If the tree is already symptomatic, it is extremely difficult to get the fungicide into the tree.

We can't call that an auto imune disorder. Not at all.
In the auto imune disorder in animals, the imune system tries to actively destroy its own organisme by mistaking it with an agressor. Maybe that can lead to the same result (ultimately death), but the process and causes are very different.
Trees aren't designed like the animals and their protecting system/strategy is completly different: They don't know how to heal/repair, they just close the old/dammaged part and continues to grow around/over it. But what we see here is a backfire of the system. It's the same event with a massive attack of insects borer, on the spruce like here in the very recent past for exemple. If there's only an handfull of attack points, no worry. The tree isolates something like 1" around the hole/galery, closes the gates and paths mecanically, loads the cells with "awful" chemicals to contain the agressors. The life continues around the blockage. But if there are hundreds or even thousands of borers, the tree has to close the same amount of areas, to the point of having no longer enough functional tissues. All the above starves from water and all the under starves from nutriments, to death. Unlike the borers with a very small damaged area (for each ones), the fungi and bacteria have the potential of a wide spread progression inside the tree (even if they aren't a killer by themselves). So the tree isolates a massive area, keeping about nothing, or so few, to function properly. Basicaly, he kills himself yes, but due to a colateral dammage.

You just called me an animal!
First batch of chemo caused an auto immune reaction in this animal.
My body killed off the red blood cells.
Not fun.
My doc said I was basically standing on Mt. Denali, that was how much oxygen I was absorbing.

We can't call that an auto imune disorder. Not at all.
In the auto imune disorder in animals, the imune system tries to actively destroy its own organisme by mistaking it with an agressor. Maybe that can lead to the same result (ultimately death), but the process and causes are very different.
Trees aren't designed like the animals and their protecting system/strategy is completly different: They don't know how to heal/repair, they just close the old/dammaged part and continues to grow around/over it. But what we see here is a backfire of the system. It's the same event with a massive attack of insects borer, on the spruce like here in the very recent past for exemple. If there's only an handfull of attack points, no worry. The tree isolates something like 1" around the hole/galery, closes the gates and paths mecanically, loads the cells with "awful" chemicals to contain the agressors. The life continues around the blockage. But if there are hundreds or even thousands of borers, the tree has to close the same amount of areas, to the point of having no longer enough functional tissues. All the above starves from water and all the under starves from nutriments, to death. Unlike the borers with a very small damaged area (for each ones), the fungi and bacteria have the potential of a wide spread progression inside the tree (even if they aren't a killer by themselves). So the tree isolates a massive area, keeping about nothing, or so few, to function properly. Basicaly, he kills himself yes, but due to a colateral dammage.
I see your point Marc. The presenter of the information is a BCMA and I took it as gospel. Re watching it he did say “LIKE an auto immune response”. I can see his point as well. The master point and takeaway was that the fungus does not directly kill the tree but the trees response to the fungal presence does. Maybe more akin to humans dying from too high of a fever (not so often anymore in developed countries with modern medicine). The bacteria/virus may not be deadly but the body kills itself trying to deal with the pathogen.

Like John said, I wonder if the fungus is something that would be deadly to the tree on its own?

Propiconazole. Antifungal. This is why it needs to be used prophylactically. If the tree is already symptomatic, it is extremely difficult to get the fungicide into the tree.
Thanks! Makes much sense. By the time it’s symptomatic, the vascular system is becoming sealed off thus no/little uptake of the fungicide can occur.

Back