non-pro top handle recommendations

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, guys:

Thanks for all the feedback on the bar length thread.

Now I know this may be kind of like asking a bunch of F1 drivers what economy car to buy, but I'm wondering about the less expensive top-handles.

Unless I'm missing a model I don't know about, the list is:

• Stihl 192/193
  • Husky T435
  • Echo 330T
  • Echo 335T

Wondering if you've got experience with any of these and what your thoughts are...

I have used a husky 338t did not like the balance of the saw felt tip heavy.... I have a 192 and its a good saw for the price I don't like how the bar oil and gas are next to each other dumb ground guys in the past have confused the two...may I suggest the 150tc I have been using one at a co. I sub for and I like it better than the 192 it feels like the same power but yet lighter... In the end my goto saw is my 020t or my 200t. Hope this helps. Can't speak for the others but I recently got a echo saw (cs400)and love it for its design and has the best filter design keeping it clean is a breeze

If you are doing more pruning than removals you can't go wrong with the Stihl 150t. There is a whole thread on it on the chainsaw forum. A lot less expensive than the 200/201 but plenty of saw for pruning.
I hear you about 'non-pro' top handle if you are looking for something a bit cheaper in price, quite a few on here seem to be happy with Echo.

I was reducing a eucalyptus yesterday using my 150t it found its limit in cutting a live limb about 10" with a lot of forward weight...wee thing did the job but only just! Otherwise it performed like a trooper. I was just too lazy to get the 200 sent up as it was the last two cuts of the day.

The 192 is a nice saw, especially with a 20 minute muffler mod. The 150 is smaller and underpowered, but way more expensive... it's better built, and will outlast the 192, but way overpriced for a part timer.

That latest Echo is called a 355. I hear it's quite good, but costs a lot more than a 192---I've found four of them used........for about $200 each, all like new.

I'm done with Stihl. Period. We have been trying all different brands to find a decent replacement. I got a Tanaka a while back and the engine was good. Pretty strong actually but the rest of the saw was very cheap and I had lots of mine things break. It was worth the $250 or whatever I paid but I want be getting another. We recently bought an Echo 355 and I believe it's their new model that's supposed to complete with the 201T. So far that things is great. We got ours with a 16" bar that we use for removals and then out a 12" bar on for pruning. As soon as I have time, I'm going back to buy another one. I think we paid $450 give or take and it's well worth the money. I think we found our replacement for the Stihl as far as climbers go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

192 here, only reason is the stihl dealer was closer than the echo dealer, and my other saws were stihls. Done me good, a company I occasionally climb for liked it and bought some. Next one I'll get will be the echo, 'cuz the dealer will give me a good price.

IMHO, so long the dealers are fair with their pricing, don't think you can do bad with any of those saws, working part/ part time.

I use an Echo 330T with a 14" bar. Love that saw. It's easy to haul up behind you when you're working alone. It's light enough to handle it in the tree all day long. But my favorite thing about it is the super easy re-starting once it's been warmed up a bit. One pull start, while in the tree, is a very nice thing. It's easy on fuel, allowing you to work aloft for a very long time between refills. This is also a good thing when working alone, or while your crew is busy grinding stumps, etc.

Joel

I'm done with Stihl. Period. We have been trying all different brands to find a decent replacement. I got a Tanaka a while back and the engine was good. Pretty strong actually but the rest of the saw was very cheap and I had lots of mine things break. It was worth the $250 or whatever I paid but I want be getting another. We recently bought an Echo 355 and I believe it's their new model that's supposed to complete with the 201T. So far that things is great. We got ours with a 16" bar that we use for removals and then out a 12" bar on for pruning. As soon as I have time, I'm going back to buy another one. I think we paid $450 give or take and it's well worth the money. I think we found our replacement for the Stihl as far as climbers go.

This.

I would hardly know what to say to any working climber who ISN'T done with Stihl by now. Good saws... rotten business ethics.

I got good use from a 192T for years...part timer here though. Did quite a few storm jobs with it including 2 weeks at Katrina...never missed a lick. When the 201s came out I finally bought a 200T before they were too scarce...really liking it.

Hi, guys:

Thanks for all the feedback on the bar length thread.

Now I know this may be kind of like asking a bunch of F1 drivers what economy car to buy, but I'm wondering about the less expensive top-handles.

Unless I'm missing a model I don't know about, the list is:

• Stihl 192/193
  • Husky T435
  • Echo 330T
  • Echo 335T

Wondering if you've got experience with any of these and what your thoughts are...

I own the Echo 330T, and like it. I'm an amateur, not a pro arb, so take what I say with a bit of salt. So far it has had enough power for the things I've asked it to do, including wood that about maxed out the 16" bar the thing accepts. Starts reliably.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure, but I think the 330T might be a discontinued item. It seems to me like Echo is trying to push their customers up into the higher profit (for them) 355T. Home Depot where I live carries the Echo chainsaw line, and that is where I got mine from. You can go to the website for your local store, if one exists, and do a search on the item. I'd be expecting that by now all of the 330T's have already sold out, but you may get lucky.

I just found this saw at an Indianapolis store, which I had forgotten about. It is even smaller and lighter than the 330T, but it will only accept a 12" bar, if I recall correctly. It also seems expensive. One of my relatives bought one of these, and I got to use it for a little while. Really quite powerful for such a small saw.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-12-in-26-9-cc-Gas-Top-Handle-Chain-Saw-CS-271T-12/205566455

The 330T would accept 12", 14" and 16" bars. I only checked the one store so far, it's possible the 330T might be available in one of the many Indianapolis stores, but I do not know how to do a global search of the area yet.

Ok, I've checked three stores so far, no joy. You can keep trying if you want to, but I strongly suspect that the Echo 330T is no more. They did have another version with a smaller engine, might have been a 300T or something.

You should find the thread folks have mentioned about the 150T from Stihl. People absolutely are having a love affair with that saw. I either did not know about it or it did not yet exist at the time I bought my Echo. This will make me sound like a wimp, but I find that the weight of even the Echo 330T saw is enough to make me rely on my Silky hand saw way more than I sometimes should. I'm not certain, but I think the Stihl 150 may be the lightest weight gas powered saw out there.

I'm glad I got the Echo because of its ability to handle slightly larger wood, since it is so far the only saw that I own. Since you seem like you might already own some larger ground saws, I would give serious consideration to the Stihl 150, if I were you.

It seems to me that the days of a bargain top-handled saw from Echo have passed.

I've rambled on too long, sorry about that. Good luck with whichever saw you choose to buy, and of course, I'd love to hear any feedback you have on it once you've had a chance to use it for a while.

Tim

This is a link to the saw with the smaller engine than the Echo 330T. Not sure what size bars it will handle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-14-in-30-1-cc-Gas-Chainsaw-CS-303T-14/204296302

When I want an echo, I'll go into a canyon and yell.

;)

+1

I used to run an echo,and 192 also have the 150.
For the price,as said by others,the 192 is great,the 150 is more $ but in my opinion is better suited for small saw application vs 192. I would take into consideration the price vs weight vs power and what you want out of the saw...

I got good use from a 192T for years...part timer here though. Did quite a few storm jobs with it including 2 weeks at Katrina...never missed a lick. When the 201s came out I finally bought a 200T before they were too scarce...really liking it.

You lucky devil. (We need a green smilie on here).

I think anyone who is dismissing Echo is making an error. From what I have been hearing and reading, Echo has been making great improvements in their products and actually producing very respectable professional saws. Imo they used to be laughable as far as pro saws go, but that's changing as Stihl is loosing customers world wide.

I've used an echo lightweight climbing saw, very good indeed. If it didn't spoil the husky/Stihl monopoly in my workshop I'd definitely buy one.

Don't get the Husky T435. It is an absolute dog. I keep mine in the work truck for clearing overgrown roadways, but it's never coming in the tree with me again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 192 is a nice saw, especially with a 20 minute muffler mod.

The 150 is ... way overpriced for a part timer.

That latest Echo is called a 355. I hear it's quite good, but costs a lot more than a 192---I've found four of them used........for about $200 each, all like new.

Agreed on all fronts. Not sure whether the 192 is still available here, or whether it's all 193s by me. The 193s list for only $9 less than the 355. ($339.95 vs. $349. Echo has dropped the price on the 355 by $100 from the original MSRP of $449. Not sure that was ever realistic.)

I want to know where you're shopping for used 355s! I can't find anything close to $200! :cry:

That Tanaka (TCS33EDTP) is $269 now. Folks say it is super heavy, but specs say 8.4# vs. 8# for the 355. Maybe the balance is poor? Cheap build quality is another thing entirely...glad to know!

Also good to hear another vote for the 355.

Echo is hard to beat for the money and warranty

Amen. My CS-590 (59.8cc) is VERY impressive for the $399 I paid.

I use an Echo 330T with a 14" bar. Love that saw.

I own the Echo 330T, and like it....I'm not sure, but I think the 330T might be a discontinued item. It seems to me like Echo is trying to push their customers up into the higher profit (for them) 355T.
...It seems to me that the days of a bargain top-handled saw from Echo have passed.

Tim is dead right. Confirmed with a call to Echo today that the 330T (like the 360T before it) has been discontinued. That's a drag. :(

Don't get the Husky T435. It is an absolute dog.

How come, Grendel? Poor powerband? Lousy balance?

Echo, Can't go wrong , for the price and a simple muff mod and tune they are compairable to the euro saws in power...IMHO.

Balance is good. Power is the problem. It actually has some snort in the cut, it just can't generate any chain speed. Boggy, slow acceleration. Almost dangerous when you're dealing with bigger chunks or topping. Trust me, don't do it. Maybe as a trip/prune saw, but not for removals.

I'd take my 450 and 590 in the tree with no questions. Both muff modded and tuned they eat pretty good, but a top handle not much experience with the echo

Tbh, im not all that happy with my 201. I would like to run a 200t and the new 150t, to compare

Back