Need Some Nice Chainsaw Chaps

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So last year I bought 2 pr. of the Pfanner Chainsaw pants. It was expensive (like $600 for the pair) and it turns out NO ONE wants to wear them (myself included) because its too damn hot.

I wanna get a pair of chaps and see if there is a higher likelyhood of them being worn. I wanna get nicer ones. The ones I've always used always seemed too short, with straps too long, half the buckles broken and tied back together.

Who makes a GOOD pair of good fitting chaps? What do you guys like?

love
nick

We've always used Stihl chaps. You can buy them in varying lengths and sizes, pretty durable, and they're a hi-viz orange which is nice.

SIP innovation II look sweet. Supposedly much more light than the gladiators. That said, I use stihl on the ground.

We have green chaps with our logo on them. They come in all sorts of lengths, even ones that are almost to long on me even with the Wescos in (thats 39" from my crotch to the ground.)

I am not sure who makes em, but I would guess they come from Sherrill or whoever Sherrill sells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are still pants, so if you want to just put them on for ten minutes, you gotta take your pants off...which is another way of saying you'll just go without putting the saw pants on. We don't use the chainsaw enough to justify wearing pants all day.

So I'm getting this narrowed down.

The Stihl Woodcutter is a 6-layer chap http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/wdcttrchaps/
The Stihl ProMark II is a 9 layer http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/aprnchap/

I can't quite tell the differences between the two. I see a pocket on the ProMark II pic. I don't see a pocket on the Woodcutters. And the Woodcutters look like they are made of a more plastic outer material. Like a cheap $15 windbreaker from Target.

I heard through the grapevine (Facebook) that Pfanner makes some chaps, but I can't find them online.

The 9 vs 6 is simple. The 9 layer are heavier, warmer and more likely to stop a large saw.

Here are two other options

Husquavarna
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=34&item=1960

And Labonville
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=34&item=1161#detail

The Labonvilles have a great reputation, and looking at them closely I bet those are the brand we get at work, all the details are the same. THey come in varying length but note the IMPORTANT sizing info in the details. Our company data shows that a lot of chainsaw injury is to the back of the calf, so we require the full wrap.

Were your Pfanners full protection (class c) clogging material full length front back and around?
Have you tried front and lower leg ones (class a) only? They are much cooler than all around chainsaw pants...got me some Cloggers (NZ I think) they cost around $350.

But I carry a set of chaps in the truck as well, because lately most work is handsaw work, and I only need to throw on the chaps for a couple of cuts...no point wearing chainsaw trousers all day if you don't have to.

Indeed.

Trousers, I use the Husky brand...cheaper by a good bit than the others, meet all standards, and here it's usually not so hot as to be a problem.

I use the Husqvarna's but full wrap legs. I like them.. I usually get orange.
196012_lg.jpg

I recently got the same style from Forester (Ahlborn) that are the same style and meet standards. Tad tight fitting. Husqvarna seemed more adjustable.

We have the stihl chaps and like them. Regardless of the brand, make sure they have a zipper for the calf. Anytime I've wore ones with buckles they seemed sloppy.

I wear chaps only in the hot summer months and I don't wear the wrap around ones, just more hot to wear. The trick with the snaps and buckles is you put the chaps on, tighten them to the right tightness and still allow good movement, take them off and cut off the excess strap webbing, then wrap electrical tape around the straps to get rid of the loose sloppy ends.
Now you have easy and quick to put on pair of chaps.
I buy mine from Baileys, had good luck with the green ones [not Labonville] can order your exact leg length. Now got a pair of blue Husky non wrap ones and like them a lot. Stihl made good non wrap chaps too, but only downside was one length.

Back