liability waivers for rec climbing

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
i recently got permission from my neighbor to climb their awesome huge bay laurel. i offered to give them a signed liability waiver as the property owners. I'm wondering if any of you all have done similar and if anyone has a good waiver form for such a thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yah, not always asked for, but we Americans can be pretty paranoid about property. there are still laws on the books here that basically allow one to legally steal land from the owners. a hold over from the days of manifest destiny and land grabs.

...probably a good idea... keep it simple, one or two sentences at most signed by both parties and dated creates a legal document.

I've done waivers for rec climbs a lot, and not all the same either. Every property owner has their little peeves, demands, and expectations. for the most part they were all very simple. Never had a complaint, and most importantly never a suit.

With the nature of it all, I admit, I gulped a big responsibility in every rec-climbs that I signed a waiver for, but with the class of climbers I was assuming the responsibility for I was confident the events would be uneventful. And they all did. I thank my lucky stars, too. There's just so many dangers in those big old trees and anything can happen.

I get requests all the time from people to take them up the big trees. At this point I'll quite while I'm ahead.

With the nature of it all, I admit, I gulped a big responsibility in every rec-climbs that I signed a waiver for, but with the class of climbers I was assuming the responsibility for I was confident the events would be uneventful. And they all did. I thank my lucky stars, too. There's just so many dangers in those big old trees and anything can happen.

This is really awesome when you think about it :)

I keep waiting for a property owner that has huge Redwoods on it to rig up an elevator capable of hauling an expert climber and a novice up top for a look around as a paid attraction.

I'm currently working on such a system for the working arborist in the field. Remote wireless technology has made tremendous advances in the last few decades. The wireless remote I intend to use has a 2000 foot working range, but has a cost of 2500 bucks.

The whole shebang will be incorporated onto a powered hand truck complete with its own generator, that gets strapped to the base of the tree like a Hobbs.

Jomo

Back