Learned something

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed about structural integrity. We have 3 of them in the wooded lot out back. They are about 120’. One will be removed once I feel confident in my abilities. All rigging work and steep terrain combined with a lot of height. It would take out the house if it went. Going back to that whole structural integrity thing…….

We have several Liriodendron tulipifera in the 110-foot, 50+ inch dbh class here in West Central IL. quite a bit north of native range in the south of the state. The thing that I have noticed is that while in the Carbondale area the branches were very brittle to climb, these trees planted in early 1900's rarely ever lose a limb over an inch in diameter. Have no idea where the seed source was from but have seen a picture from 1917 where the trees were about 10' tall. 3 have been removed in the last 40 years, but I do not recall any major limb fall in the past 50 years. Just one of the oddities of nature, I guess.
Kind of like the Bald Cypress I transplanted at Western Illinois University in the summer of 88 during extreme drought. Had to use backhoe to loosen top of clay soil left over from land leveling and construction to get tree spade in the ground. All 5 survived and flourished and are around 50' today. My reasoning was that the soil probably had about the same aeration as a swamp does and the roots all seemed to go straight down as opposed to other trees I have planted and so found some moisture. Also, if your get a section of root from a Taxodium you will find that you can blow through it like a soda straw. This may be the secret to their ability to survive in less than perfectly aerated soils. Is it also the reason for knees besides wrecking boats and props?
The longer I work around trees (since 1967) the less I am sure that I know about them. It keeps the work interesting.

There’s a few big ones in North Buffalo, I pruned one, was one of the few times I had to reset my TIP lower to be able to reach the ground, so working TIP was probably around 85’. That’s tall as the heavens for this area though. Usually a 120’ line is plenty for an MRS setup.

While I don’t necessarily trust their integrity, they have impressed me as well. A little branch as big as my thumb held my 180 lbs. on MRT. The rope was touching the trunk so it was at its strongest point. Last week, a 3” branch protruding at a right angle (weak) to the trunk held me with the rope 3’ out on said branch. Climbed MRT and SRT on that branch. Also, bounced as much as possible- plenty strong.

If breakage would have occurred in any of the above scenarios, I’d have dropped 2’ into a massive crotch and there was plenty of rope to absorb that shock.

But the leverage and angle aren't as good. At 90°, the rope pulls the limb in full flexion instead of diverting part of the load in compression. It seems a bad bet to trust the strength in flexion in a notorious brittle wood.
If the limb is in the low diameter side, do how much you can to set the rope against the holding axis. The crotch is plenty strong and will never let go, while putting the rope further away on the questionned horizontal brings the risk to flex it down and therefor make the rope slides more away. You are now literally at inches from breaking your life support. Danger danger danger!!!

Sean, I see what you mean about the inclusions. I guess I’ve always thought of stronger “grafting” then it came out as an angle. Speaking of leafy deciduous trees that is. I may be totally off base though.

Marc, absolutely! Maybe that is where/why I got the idea of 90 degree = danger.

Back