just another tree climber

Yes to both. What sean (ruel) was wondering is how are you rigging with the ring, because all we've ever seen is putting the running line through the hole. You seem to have the running line on the outside in the picture.

Giorgio Fiori has some rings that he runs that way. I guess it works but looks like an opportunity to jump out of the ring. If it got beside the ring it would be a bad day if it ran a few feet.

Reactions: DMc
I didn't thought of the jump, but the recurrent risk is that the running rope in the groove tends to rotate the ring. The stationary rope in the center won't like it much. Be sure that the smaller load is applied in the groove in this case, for example the control rope on a zipline. Maybe the stationary rope cinched thigh around the radius is enough to keep it from turning, but I'm not sure.

I rather like the idea of the larger running radius...nearly as much as I dislike the chance of the running rigging line jumping off the groove.

But neither arrangement am I buying into :|:.

I know I'm an old climber, coming from an even older school of mind-set for rigging protocols...but for the life of me, I cannot see any advantage in rigging rings over pulleys.

Perhaps primary is the inability to set rigging lines mid-rope. In my years of work aloft, that would have been a non-starter right there.

I use the midline feature of blocks all the time, on the ground for winching and mechanical advantage. I'm not much of a removal climber, but I virtually always have the rigging line end when roping stuff in tree.

Rings are strong, light, cheaper, don't mind getting dropped out of the tree... blocks are nice too but I can't figure where the midline feature is a big advantage in tree. Granted im dealing with 100 footers max, maybe it's more important out west?

Half the price/weight looks pretty appealing to me, especially if you're just dropping weight on it. 60k# test for <$200

Friction is added in different points in the system. This allows less load at the lowering device, as well as the top anchor-point. Sometime rings can be in place of a block and a lowering device.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tree09 rope is inside groove.
Marc-Antoine never thought about that,next time will put my eyes in that possibility
Burnham I have started with blocks and lowering devices, but when rings came into play...you need to plan better the operation cause theres no midline attach(I do own your book that teach me lot thanks)
but lighter kit, possible to put 2 lines in 1 ring, a few rings will almost replace a lowering device, the price is awesome when you think of blocks, nobody is too old

Right on.
Us Northerners love pictures from warm countries.

Looks good, but that ladder is scary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
stig as a climber you always try to make easy on you????? that set of ladders is totally a no no.round steps, loads of extra layers of aluminium and rebites(type of nail doesnt came of???)glad I am not the owner,
it helps to not spur the first meters where normal eyes reach and gives a very tidy finish, something that is not standard here.

Back