Is there something special about this saw.

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
Is there anything special about this JD saw that I am missing ? I have my reasons for asking. I am looking for comments at the moment. No way could it be a collectable saw or at least not to me.

It was made by Echo and I think it is a 70 V or 80 EV. I am not sure. An Echo 750 is as close as I could come to idenify this saw as there are no markings on it other than a tag saying it was made by Echo or Korowitz corp. Model # 700F

I am guessing this saw is from the 70's, early 80's perhaps, again not sure. It has anti-vib, decomp valve, adjustable and auxillary oiler for that little extra oil if you need it. Many pro features for being a JD.

Attachments

• !CEUybLgEGk~$(KGrHqF,!lEE1F17yTw2BNRee9oIvQ~~_12.jpg
    !CEUybLgEGk~$(KGrHqF,!lEE1F17yTw2BNRee9oIvQ~~_12.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 213
  • !CEU)00QCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!hYE0fG)ZqRWBNRed,RQSw~~_12.jpg
    !CEU)00QCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!hYE0fG)ZqRWBNRed,RQSw~~_12.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 212
IF it's an EV, it's coveted for some reason that eludes me now. Cutforfun will know this like the back of his hand, if Al doesn't hit it first.
But yes, it's popular and loved.

IF it's an EV, it's coveted for some reason that eludes me now.

If it was the John Deere SV66 it is a collectible to some because of Twin cylinders. I dont know what OP posted a pic of, some makes I just dont have a interest in. :happens:

JohnDeere66SV-3.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys are responding with what I expected to hear. Big deal, it is an Echo saw only in yellow made for John Deere.

I sold the saw as a parts saw on flea bay recently and I was surprized how much it sold for being an off brand saw. This is the reason for the thread. I don't see it but others sure did as there was an interest in it all week long as the bids kept climbing all week long. It was nice to sell an off brand saw at Stihl prices for a change. I won't be able to retire but it sure helped a little to take the bite off the pocketbook.

I would have liked to kept the saw for myself because of the features it had on it. I had that saw in my pile for over a year tryng to find parts to finish fixing it up but they never came up for this saw which might explain why it brought so much.

Magnus, I used your site to find out what this saw was and the closest thing to my saw was that 80 EV. The 452 was to small although it was very close to it. This saw was definately a 70 cc saw.

I never paid much attention to these yellow JD's but they were popular with farmers in our area. I worked with a few that were using them back in the day and they swore by them. Never ran one myself.

If it was the John Deere SV66 it is a collectible to some because of Twin cylinders. I dont know what OP posted a pic of, some makes I just dont have a interest in. :happens:

View attachment 30716

I had the pleasure of demoing that twin cylinder Echo 610 EVL in the 1980s when a sales rep brought it to our logging camp. Cut real smooth and had lots of torque for a 61cc saw but at over 15 lbs it was heavier then my 85cc Stihl 064. Tiny air filter and gas/oil caps were a pain . I told the rep I didn't feel it would make a good production saw but would be ideal for a weekend woodcutter and last him a lifetime.
From Axe mens photo that John Deere would be from the mid 1970s when chain brakes weren't standard yet.

Willard.

I think reason for these go a bit higher is that it is a tractor brand.
Lots of guy's want a tractor branded saw to go with their tractor. The John Deere branded saws usually go for double the amount....

My first saw was a Deere/Echo, 45EV, damn fine saw in its day. They were more of a torque saw than a high rpm screamer.

Dad has a Deere/Echo 450G brushcutter, its not had an easy life, maintaince is what you do when it quits. It still runs great after all these years, its death will probably be from lack of parts.

Ed

I think reason for these go a bit higher is that it is a tractor brand.
Lots of guy's want a tractor branded saw to go with their tractor. The John Deere branded saws usually go for double the amount....
I agree.
And then Stihl came into the "John Deere circle".
A little history lesson , years ago John Deere buys out Homelite, Stihl rubs shoulders and aquires Homelites strato technology.

Willard.

Thanks for the pics Magnus, I hope I didn't misrepresent the saw I sold and have it come back on me. All these pics of these JD's look very similar to my saw. I stated in the description I was not sure which model JD it was . I made that very clear but it didn't seem to slow down the bidding.

I agree.
And then Stihl came into the "John Deere circle".
A little history lesson , years ago John Deere buys out Homelite, Stihl rubs shoulders and aquires Homelites strato technology.

Willard.

I didn't know that about Homelite having the strato technology. I thought Stihl came up with that one. Did Stihl kind of politely steal it and then pass it on and promote it as they were the first to market and develop it under the the Stihl name .

I didn't know that about Homelite having the strato technology. I thought Stihl came up with that one. Did Stihl kind of politely steal it and then pass it on and promote it as they were the first to market and develop it under the the Stihl name .
From my information Stihls strato technology came from Homelite, now what business dealings between John Deere, Homelite and Stihl I can't say for sure.

Willard.

Thanks for the pics Magnus, I hope I didn't misrepresent the saw I sold and have it come back on me. All these pics of these JD's look very similar to my saw. I stated in the description I was not sure which model JD it was . I made that very clear but it didn't seem to slow down the bidding.

Never sell saws...

It will bite!

No, better to have them on a shelf and enjoy the company forever!

I wish I could keep them alland display them Magnus. I am not a die hard collector just a wanna be collector :lol: I have too many saws as it is and the spending money in the winter comes in handy. I kind of like this part time wheeling and dealing especially if someone gives them to me and I can get them up and running without to much fuss or expense.

I spotted this under the shelves at my dealer a few days back.... Homelite XL-98. I don't know the situation with it. I am trying to score it if anyone might be interested in it. If no interest... I will not pursue. I really don't need any more projects. Pic off the internet. I am still trying to find out the condition it might be in and what it needs. I think it came in not running. I am not sure if it was fixed and not paid for ... or somebody just abandoned it because it needed fixed. Like I said. I will find out more if someone here might want me to.

$(KGrHqEOKnIE44R2dbwLBOOviO3s8g~~0_35.JPG

I might be wrong but I think that if that saw had a bar and chain it would be a Homelite XL - 925.

I recently scored some extra parts for my Stihl 076's by scarfing up some Stihl TS 760 concrete saws at my dealer. Same powerhead as my 076 only with no oiler parts and the clutch side is a little different.

Funny thing about this was that my dealer has never seen or sold a 76 but they had sold and serviced many of the concrete saws. They were more than happy to unload those part saws and made me happy also. I got some good cylinders, pistons and rings plus many little knick knacky parts like mounts, gas tanks and other little goodies.

Back