Is nothing sacred?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I was in the market for a new saddle until I bought this beauty!! Just kidding! How can someone use this thing at height and not have a panic attack??! The only chineseium I use is a hand ascender (GM) and a couple accessory biners.

Save money, die faster

Attachments

• 0FC23300-2324-481D-9FE6-A0940377D865.png
    0FC23300-2324-481D-9FE6-A0940377D865.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 82
Price is good! Ya know, it might even be fine, hard to say with Chinese though. You can get a POS roll off the line right after something acceptable. My Camp is Chinese made, but at least it has a big name backing it up. The site I bought it from(TreeStuff) listed USA as the country of manufacture. If I knew it was Chinese, it would have given me pause, but I'd have probably gotten it anyway due to the anticipated use. For daily use? US or Euro please.

Looks like just a copy of the previous model of Sequoia SRT (gen. 2).
Well designed, I liked it a lot.
But it isn't a proof to be well made though.
I used one (from Petzl) during 2 years until I found that some critical stitches on the SRT part were failling. Imagine, 1/4 to 1/3 gone on both stitches when I discovered that. Not an happy guy.

The stitching in that picture alone gives me the heebie jeebies. For me having complete confidence in my gear and being proud of it makes me much more proficient. Maybe the home owner that dares to YouTube there way through there own removal/pruning would attempt this harness just from the positive(ish) reviews and no knowledge of real quality gear

For me having complete confidence in my gear and being proud of it makes me much more proficient.
I'd go farrer : I can do this job only because I trust my gear. My skill comes after.
The consideration of efficiency is just convenient to propose my services and be abble to respond reasonnably well to the customer's demands, but it isn't mandatory for me. Unlike the confidence in my gear.

That is the first hurdle when teaching apprentices to climb.
Getting them to trust the gear completely.

Marc, as one non-english writer to another, it is further, not farrer.

I wouldn't stake my life on anything from Scamazon, even brand name stuff. Look up their comingled inventory issues. Basically, sellers will ship in inventory for the same item, and Amazon throws it all into a big bin at their local warehouse to be sold as Prime merchandise. When you order something, they just pull from the bin without any regard for the supplier or their track record for providing legitimate goods. They have no way of tracking it to the supplier and no way of assuring it's the real deal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me, one of the anxiety cards my brain plays is “are you sure you can trust that biner, saddle, rope,etc……?..” I shut that voice down with a confident yes. That would be impossible to do with knock off gear. A panic attack at 80’ doesn’t sound like a good time.

Whenever I meet new people and they ask what I do, they always respond with isn't that scary? aren't you scared of heights? I always respond with I would rather be 90ft in a tree on a small rope than on a ladder or roller coaster. I'm in control, I intimately know what I am climbing on and I trust it. When I say the gear makes me proficient its because with every little concern (maybe my hitch isn't acting like I want it to, maybe I have just one small knick on my rope from my silky (I know its still safe but doesn't change that doubting "what if" thought, maybe my spurs are a little dull so im having to jab them on or gaff out on a stupid sweet gum). When everything is acting right and there are no little "what ifs" messing with my anxiety, I work that tree like a machine. When there is a couple "what if's" in my head now my nerves are getting pulled with every jerk or loss of balance trying to traverse a limb. I would never climb if I didn't trust every bit of what I have on

One of the main reasons I spent so much time studying splices and having them tested. Never have a reason to not cut a few feet off a climb line to remove a damaged area and re-splice

Local marine rigging company. Had the machines to do a static hold test. Splices held 10,000lbs in basket configuration for over 30min

Wow! What type of rope? Most climb line is between 7-5k avg. break strength I believe. Just trying to understand 🤔

Like mr. Burnham said. Basket would put each splice under a load of about 5000lbs. I made two 8ft sections with eyes on each end. Slightly varying the tapers to see what did best. The two ropes I did was Samson tangent and notch kraken 1/2in. Both are around a 9-10k mbs. My concern wasn’t the health of the brand new rope but the ability of the splice to hold and the test proved that

Got it! Makes perfect sense now. I’ve not seen a break test done that way before but get the reasoning now. Did you find splicing challenging to learn?

I’m a very particular guy so between the Samson book and watching dozens of videos and practicing on some “bag o rope” scraps, I was able to produce some good splices. Not very fast 30-45min for a 24 strand from start to whipping it off. Biggest thing I could recommend is practice and make sure the method of splicing is correct for the type of rope your doing. Like most ropes follow the standard splice in the Samson book but tachyon calls for a specialized splice procedure. Failure to look in to that could cause issues with the final breaking strength of the splice. Over all no it wasn’t hard but took a lot of time and spent about $250 on all my gear to splice. Now it’s a huge money saver especially when I can order tenex Tec from Wesspur (best prices) and make my own rigging slings

Back