In the interest of trees.

Grnjp

Treehouser
So what I have is a red oak that is about 35 years old. Took a look at it today as I'm doing spring cleanup. Are these fungus growing on the dead branches a problem? Trim them out? Or let the tree do tree stuff? 20210409_130451.jpg 20210409_130809.jpg

Whoa, a thread actually about trees? Thank you!

Maybe some kind of gall? Hopefully just cosmetic and hatches a few bugs. Maybe I’m wrong, let’s see what other input you get.

At any rate, this time of year and in your area, that tree is definitely at risk of oak wilt if you start cutting. Really want to wait til November or later, when it’s dormant to prune it. Oak wilt is ruthless and it’s fast. By the time you notice some visible decline, it’s too late to do anything.

Looks like something from the Auricularia family.
Harmless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol Jonny, yup treehouse is getting silly. So I thought I would interject something easy that wasn't political.

Thanks stig. It's a soft fungus, almost like gummy bears? It's on most dead twigs.

Not a gall. Soft fungus of some sort. I've seen it on bigger trees on my property and was curious if I should clean it out of this tree. Only really care because my father and I transplanted it 25 years ago when we built this house.

Yah , edible after thorough cooking but not very palatable ... avoid unless starved for sustenance

I'll see if I can get a better picture. I know it seems to grow on the oaks here.

In the interest of trees...
A locally famous Burr Oak and a Cottonwood I liked . The oak is past her prime but still has a bottom worth looking at.;) I found the cottonwood excpeptional for it's single stem girth wheras it's usually takes a multi-stemmer to reach that ALAP measurement around here. The spool wrecks the picture but I thought it disrespectful to rearrange someone else's private property.

Attachments

• 20210606_113157.jpg
    20210606_113157.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210620_135029.jpg
    20210620_135029.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
Back