I thought an SBR might be cool?

sawinredneck

Treehouser
We just recently went on vacation, went to Corpus Christi for a week. Me, in my paranoid state, went pretty prepared. I bought a CCW backpack from Voodoo tactical, loaded it up with a sub-compact 9, had my micro 9 on me, with a spare mag, at all times. In the bag I had several mags for each gun and another holster for the other gun. My thinking was if something did happen I'd at least have another gun if the cops took my carry rig.
When we got back, I got to thinking, bad idea. So I have this backpack and after loading it up with mags there just wasn't much room for much else. I had a rain jacket and a hat, we went to the beach and I managed to stuff a couple of the hotel towels in it as well, but it's just not that big. I got on Youtube to validate my plan, because their all experts, just ask them. It seems a lot of other people had this same idea, cool, I'm liking this. So the plan was to just make my backpack a gun bag, handgun in the ccw compartment and an SBR variant in the main compartment.
I'll shorten it up as I'm rambling now.
To purchase a Short Barreled Rifle in the US you have to jump through hoops, I'm not happy about it, but was willing to pay the $200 tax stamp (on top of the firearm price) get fingerprinted, have them run an FBI background check AND get approval from my local Sheriffs office, then wait for however long it took the ATF to even approve (takes up to a year) me. It's a lot of BS, but I was willing to deal with it.
Then I read the fine print! IF I were to buy an SBR and IF I wanted to travel with it, I would have to send a letter to the ATF, tell them what states I'd be traveling through with the rifle, the dates, etc. and then wait for them to send me back an approval or disapproval letter, again, can take up to a year. So you'd have to plan your vacation at least a year in advance. That was it for me, that's just too much.
So I'm just going to buy more mags now.

I have no use for an SBR. No way I'm willing to buy permission to own something no more dangerous than any other firearm. (That entire fiasco is founded upon money/power/control anyway.) I can walk into a gun store and purchase a new pistol in five minutes. But to add a silencer to said pistol, I have to go through all the hoops named above, with the waiting time (last I heard) was over ten months. To put that in perspective....you can purchase the pistol...the FIREARM...in five minutes....but the muffler (tube to quiet the pew-pew), requires more paperwork, and much longer wait time than the pistol itself. STUPID. When's the last time you heard of anyone killing someone with a suppressor? And even if you should decide to hop through all their hoops, and utter sweet "Mother-May-I" again and again until Simon says you can....there are still laws in place that dictate what you can and can't do with it.

I'm with Jim...AR pistol.

Great idea! I never thought of using sunscreen as self defense! Do you recommend squirting it in their eyes, or throwing the bottle at them?

Another option is the Kel-Tec Sub 2000. You can get a model to use Glock mags or S&W mags. Mine uses Glock as that’s what I carry. If you already carry a Glock, your mags fit both, eliminating the need for extra mags. Available in 9mm or .40 S&W.
1CF293DA-7D13-4CD3-A604-AEAE68951DFB.jpeg

I agree about the suppressor thing, pretty dumb. Mine took forever to get. Sure is nice though shooting without ear protection.

Personally, I would be careful about carrying too much. One firearm is sufficient. It may look suspicious to have multiple and lots of ammo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one CCW was what is allowed.

my brother had one of those ar pistols, he sold it. Said is kinda of a gimmick gun

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Other than the beach day, the backpack stayed in the hotel room, I never felt the threat level was high enough to need more than one gun. I was VERY wary of traveling loaded up like I was, I didn't want to be the next "Chicago hotel" news story! My bag is very discreet, that gun never came out and we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door the entire time.
I've actually looked at the Kel-Tec, neat design and if it were to take Springfield mags, I'd consider it. But it doesn't, and I'm just not that big of a fan of 9 to start with, it got ruled out.
AR pistols, the buffer tube just irritates me to no end! I don't like them on that fact alone, then I wanted to go with 7.62x39, because I have a lot of it, that also ruled out an AR platform. Yes, there have been a few to make them actually work, it's rare, and most AR's don't play well with 7.62 ammo.
That left AK platforms as I wanted to try and stay sub $1k. They are ugly, they have a stupid short sight radius, and after laughing my ass off watching Youtubers trying to shoot them, I was over that idea quickly.
Yes, I know about pistol braces, but with the AFT (I'll never forget that gaff) in the state they are, trying to invent legislation, I'm not comfortable going that route.

Maybe I will feel safe if I carry two guns, wait, no, three. Better make it four.

There are dangers in the world, and most of them you can't shoot. As a fellow gun owner, it doesn't sound like a very relaxing vacation if you carry that level of hyper- vigilance the whole time.

My concern was a group of “mostly peaceful protesters”. As we spent the night and most of a day in Austin, I didn’t feel like it was a far fetched theory. I used to love Austin, but it’s really bad now, there were homeless encampments all over the city.
I own every bit of my paranoia, I get it, as I said the second was mainly there on the slim chance I’d need it, nothing more.
We had a safe in our room, my backpack fit in it nicely otherwise it was going to be locked in the toolbox of the truck.

That actually looks decent, Bob, I’ll keep an eye on it, thanks.
I don’t need another gun, I don’t need another gun, I don’t need another gun…..

So today I got to spend a LOT of time hanging out with cops, one of my most favorite activities evaaaah, NOT!
My Sheriff friend was moving and three of the guys on his crew came to help. I left there, dropped off the trailer and ran to another town to get cigarettes just to watch an SUV cross the center line and T-bone this poor 16yo girl driving her 9yo sister home from school. I really wanted to hang out with more cops ya know?
Anyway, I brought this thread up and explained the concerns expressed and told them I had taken two handguns with me when we went on vacation. Immediately one of them, an exMarine “Well Hell yes you take two, one is none and two is one!” Everyone else agreed and were surprised I hadn’t taken more. Which led to this conversation so…
Anyway, some pictures so someone doesn’t say I’m full of shit, because every cop will let you take a picture while sitting on their car.

Attachments

• BBF04E6B-58A0-4521-8C4B-639E909CA790.jpeg
    BBF04E6B-58A0-4521-8C4B-639E909CA790.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 2B0F096B-EF71-458D-A20E-6D4345C52B5E.jpeg
    2B0F096B-EF71-458D-A20E-6D4345C52B5E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • 7AA0F392-58A0-4C7F-9CF9-F79E7FDE32C4.jpeg
    7AA0F392-58A0-4C7F-9CF9-F79E7FDE32C4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • 6E1211E5-B19F-4F0F-B6FC-F19B1E832287.jpeg
    6E1211E5-B19F-4F0F-B6FC-F19B1E832287.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 2EFE0C01-6726-4091-B39D-76CFB57118D9.jpeg
    2EFE0C01-6726-4091-B39D-76CFB57118D9.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DB4F47D0-B3C8-402C-A99C-EDB9DD96C20E.jpeg
    DB4F47D0-B3C8-402C-A99C-EDB9DD96C20E.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 7C326FE2-CCF9-4EB3-BB0C-6A17CCA5F9E7.jpeg
    7C326FE2-CCF9-4EB3-BB0C-6A17CCA5F9E7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I try not to vacation anywhere that I'm that concerned with my personal safety... so mostly I enjoy my property. Lol
And I totally get that! Believe me, I wasn't the least interested in this trip, but I'm married, my wife's sister wanted a vacation so we needed to go with her to keep her company, don't ask me. Going to Texas, in July, isn't my idea of a good time!
It came down to me going, or my wife and son going alone.

I try not to vacation anywhere that I'm that concerned with my personal safety... so mostly I enjoy my property. Lol
I get that, and I enjoy home myself. Don’t tell anyone, but I actually thought about getting a pistol to keep around the house.

Back