Husky T540 or Stihl 201T?

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Let the debate begin. In need of a new climbing saw. From those I've talked to so far, the two seem pretty even. They both have their perks and drawbacks.

Yep, I've got both. Pretty even. The husky has a reputation for being a bit more fragile, probably deserved, and being a little bit more powerful, also probably deserved.
Note I'm referring to the later 201 that's ok.

You have heard this from me already but 540 zero regrets in my decision to purchase one or recommend one.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Yep, I've got both. Pretty even. The husky has a reputation for being a bit more fragile, probably deserved, and being a little bit more powerful, also probably deserved.
Note I'm referring to the later 201 that's ok.

I think the Mick hit it. Personally, I like the (new) 201's. No regrets. Starts easy, warms up in 5 seconds, cuts very well, reliable, durable.:drink:

At this stage it might be luck of the draw. My 540 has been great, no regrets, pleanty others have not been so lucky though. My 201, even modded always lacked a good throttle response. To me thats a real handicap for a climbing saw.

Newer 201t all the way. I've got a early and late 201, the difference is easily noticeable, way more throttle response better top end. I bought a 540t to and it was a miserable disaster. Off the top of my head I had the carb boot leak issue, my kill switch stopped working, it ran all over the place and erratic, took forever to warm up, seemed to hate start and stop cutting, I couldn't use the thing. I tried "setting" it by running it wot in a cut for ever and ever. Stupidest way to have to "set" a saw I've ever heard of. I traded it in against a 880(sweet!) , I still have the older 201t which Is a powerless dog but atleast is reliable and runs properly.

Just my experience with these newer saws, others results may vary.

I've got 3 540's and the only issue (s) I have had are with my original knew I bought sept 2013 are the kill switch stopped working, currently waiting for it to come in and the pull handle spring in it went wonky ( don't know how!) but the newer runs seem to have a bit more grunt, they are used daily climbing, and in the lift. So I guess normal wear and tear they cut like mad each day so I'm happy with all mine!
Devon

Seeing the 540 has auto tune and the MS201 doesn't have that technology , I recently heard Stihl has released the MS201T CM in Germany with the M-Tronic
. So far the M-Tronic on the other saws like the 661, 441,241 etc. has had good reviews.

DSC09696%20(Medium).JPG

yeah, that's probably the saw you want right there. The Husky is very fast (and has awesome local dealer support), and has all the power I will need. I trust the Husky motor, and I'm really liking the auto-tune. The Anti-Vibe is a little soft, and the whole thing looks knobby/plastic-ish in contrast to the Stihl above.

I was running a buddies 540 the other day and I was very impressed by the torque it had. It's really motors through larger wood without acting like its fighting. I'd almost say it took on larger wood better then the average 200T. Didn't have that kind of chain speed though. I suppose those days are just a memory. I've run a pile of 201s. I could make a living with one but would rather not. It will forever live on the shadow of the 200 and every time I use one I seem to dwell on the fact that its not a 201. Sort of a mental thing. Maybe if it was a different color and didn't resemble a 200t, id have an easier time accepting it as its own tool and not compare it constantly in my mind.

The newer 201's compare very well to the 200's imo. It was the release of the he crappy original 201 that was a huge mistake by Stihl.

I wonder if there is a way to tell if you'd be getting an older or newer type 201 when looking to purchase?

MS201 units manufactured after Feb 2014 had the upgrades afaik.....an honest informed dealer should clear that up for you.
The nice thing about Husqvarna's serial numbers is they tell the exact unit number in the week of the year they were built.

The newer 201's compare very well to the 200's imo. It was the release of the he crappy original 201 that was a huge mistake by Stihl.

+10.

The new 201s are as good if not better than 200s.

Thanks, Williard.

A 12" balances much better than a 16", IMO on a 200t, but at an obvious disadvantage in length. I might look into one when its busy. I already have a backup, new 16, though.

For you folks wondering about PHO weights. I will grab some info from my website.

Also I ran a T540 with 16" techlite. JMO unexperienced opinion. Rearend is heavy out of balance even with the 16" on there.
Maybe because the saw wasnt broken in yet. But no where near the 200T I had in the cut. I think my muffler modded 338's would cut with the 540 JMO. I liked the balance of the 338 better then the 540 and 200.
Havent touched a 201 expect on dealer shelve.

No pic for this one yet. husqvarna 338xpt PHO weight 8.150 lbs.

T540_zpsa984c71a.jpg

IMG_1647-L.jpg

IMG_1648-M.jpg

s200Twe.jpg

Back