Humidity rules for logging?

Robert P

TreeHouser
I was watching an episode of "Route 66" - Buzz and Todd are working as loggers, an element of the plot is the logging operations get shut down if the humidity goes below 30 percent due to fire concerns. Is something like that still in place today?

I would think so. We just had a burn ban for one day because the humidity dropped below 20% and the fire dept. wanted any and every open burn called in and put out.
Looking around some private lands they are ripe for a fire and a big one, downed shit everywhere and thick.

It is indeed here in western Oregon at least. I cut timber here and it is always an issue late in the summer when we are on a level 3.

You bet. We always try to find something closer to the ocean come late summer.

I been browsing here off and on. Been super hunting focused last few years.

There's a tv show Big Timber about a lumber mill on Vancouver Island and in one episode they monitor the temperature and humidity cross over point at which time all operations must cease and then the guy did standby with his own fire truck onsite for maybe an hour before he left. Crossover is when humidity goes down and temperature goes up to create easy fire starting conditions, chainsaw chain or muffler spark etc. Got that all from the tv show!

Back