How'd it go today?

jsut got back from running sound at the concert. Wow, what a great band. show went really good and sound system behaved quite well considering the mess someone has made out of the wiring, patching, etc.

I had three hours to set the sound before the show started. I just made it so the band could all here themselves. They did the rest. I'm proud to call these guys my friends and former bandmates. they really are talented.

I had partial success with my Monarch lathe yesterday .It runs but not exactly as it's supposed to .After analization of the antiquanted type of vacuum tube rectifier circuits of this thing ,I'm going to attempt some more tests to try and determine were the problem is today .

Now I'm going to tell you ,you get away from something like actual electronics that haven't been used in decades you get a little rusty on theory . I was good at it at one time but that time was about 40 years ago .

I'm guessing it's all DC, and the tubes regulate the motor field? Less field=more speed.

Yes it's a shunt wound 5 HP DC . Constant HP no matter what the speed .Being a shunt as you decrease the series field voltage you increase the shunt by some factor I do believe .A combination of the two gives speed control while maintaining the power level .

I've got one thyratron that isn't firing all the time .So it's either a weak tube or the amplifier circuit ahead of it is funky not throwing the same grid voltage on both tubes . Functioning correctly those big tubes should fire alternately depending on the speed ,one right after the other .Neat purple glow like out of an old science fiction movie .

I've got two known good thyratrons so if it isn't that it has to be the other .I should know by this afternoon .

Fine business, Al. Most of the maintainence guys I work with can't understand the concept of DC motors and field-weakening, etc. It's nice to have someone to relate to. :D

While I'm at it, I suppose most have probably figured it out... but I'm pretty much retired from tree work. I still have my gear and bucket, and I play on weekends for side cash, but I took a position awhile ago as the US Service Engineer for Schmidt Maschinenbau. They make (mostly) wire industry equipment. This was kind of a gimme position; I have friends in their Gummersbach, Germany headquarters, and when things got slow with trees they sorta created a position for me. When I'm not on business for them, I still do maintainence and engineering work for the AJD Holdings companies.

I still get to play with trees when I want, but having the regular (and well-paying) income from the tech stuff sure is sweet.

Good to hear, EriK. That's great news.......... for the trees.. haha.

My Manager was laid off friday. 62 years old. Smart and passionate as hell.
10 years service here, 20 years service to Golden Gate Park.
He stepped on too many toes doing his job defending the trees to wild planning schemes.

He started the whole forestry program at Presidio.
Now he's gone, last check. No severence, no nothing.

Wow. We'll miss you Pete. He's on the right.

Attachments

• ello projects 08 026.JPG
    ello projects 08 026.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 5
Well ya gotta do what you gotta do to make a living .What you might prefer to do just might not pay exactly as well as what you can do very well . It's all about choices and trade offs .

I always wanted to be a tool and die maker but that didn't happen .I got into the electrical by means of being a navy trained technician and it's served me well .I taught myself the machinest part which doesn't pay the bills .You can have your cake and eat it too in some cases .:)

Climbed and removed three camphor trees and opened a hole for a osage to get more sun no clean up and will have another repeat customer. Biz is looking up!

Partial success again with the lathe .Both tubes are firing but the armature is blowing sparks which says it needs attention .

The armature inductance plays a part in the feed back circuit to the large electron tubes .So if something is amiss that could likely be the problem .

I'm satisfied the replacement tubes are fine which I needed to know because I've only got seven days to report any problems to the flea bay seller .Too freakin cold to be stoning the commutator and seating brushs today . It will warm up or at least it always has in the past .

No kidding; by the time you turn and undercut the commie, etc... it's suppertime.

I won't have to turn it .Most likely just soft stone it .I can't remember what I did with my danged stones though .

Stones Willie not gonads you knuckle head .:P See I'm gettin wise to Willie .:lol:

Back