How'd it go today?

The sink in my apartment's kitchen randomly overflowed hugely yesterday after the guy above me went buck wild with his trash compacter. When the overflow finally stopped, the nasty ass brown water, mixed with the fine sediment of food that was pulverized somewhere in 1999, receded into the drain gradually over a few hours, leaving a heavy deposit of granulated foodstuffs on my stainless steel sink basin. It's nothing short of disgusting. Now I have to make my apartment presentable for the maintenance people. It just never stops. I feel like bad fortune is targeting me...again...again...again. Many will say that you make your own luck -- and there's definitely some truth to that. I'm not laying around idle, watching time fly by. I'm an active participant in my own life; at least I am lately. When things begin to look their bleakest, it's easy to gravitate towards dissociation from all that is real. At least for me it is.

But dissociating only leads to further stagnation and a gradual, but pronounced loss of willpower. So, I avoid doing so at all costs. I just spent the last few days completely absorbing myself into documentaries about all manners of things on YouTube. I pay a monthly fee so that I don't get accosted by commercials; it's well worth it. I just snapped out of it; I had been dissociating hard. While those documentaries were playing, my cognition was able to reorient to thinking about the bigger picture and to become familiar with the wide variety of issues that plague mankind on this planet. It provided a stark juxtaposition between my personal suffering and the countless sufferings of other people worldwide, which, if I'm being honest, made my issues pale in comparison to theirs.

Ultimately, though, I have to care about "number one:" myself. There's nobody fighting my fight except myself. I have to remember that, while dissociation can provide some important reality checks, why am I focusing on other people right now? I should be vehemently and passionately focused on myself. This is not to say that I believe I shouldn't help other people. The dissociation gave me profound perspective; it could be so much worse. I need to take control of myself, empower myself, educate myself, and pursue something -- anything -- which might provide me with legitimate work at legitimate pay. I need stability more than anything, and it's been a long time since I've had it. That isn't to say that I have been unstable, but more of an allusion to how genuinely unfortunate my life has been so far. I'm also not blaming life experiences for my current strife; I take full responsibility for who I am and where I am today.

I only learned just very recently how to (mostly) stop caring what people think about me; especially online. I used to want to be everyone's friend; but then I realized my only true friend was myself. The only problem was that I was still my own worst enemy. But that has since changed and I'm a short term pessimist and a long term optimist It will get harder before it gets easier. I hold the world's largest short position on "regret" and I'm ready to sell on the yearly low for that asset, so that I can generate a black swan event and open up a massive long position in "success" and collect dividends.

Last edited:
So are ya pretty happy you bought that bunch of firewood long lengths?

So are ya pretty happy you bought that bunch of firewood long lengths?
I am actually pretty impressed with myself for being able to cut those pieces all the same size.

Cut up 5 sticks today.

Couldn't be happier. When they delivered those logs they said it was about 16 cords worth. Not sure...but it does split easier at zero degrees.

No. It's not very good. But I like the can that it comes in.
You're a man after my own heart. One of my favorite places to go in Massachusetts is the Container Store. I also have a huge display of tempered, chemistry-ready borosilicate glassware in my apartment on show. Vessels for containment equal happy metrics and happy confinement of all manner of whatnots.

They have a 30% sale going on apparently.

I miss proper steel coffee cans. Some of the boutique brands come in steel, but most are plastic(sometimes useful), or metallic paper composite(not that useful to me).

I miss proper steel coffee cans. Some of the boutique brands come in steel, but most are plastic(sometimes useful), or metallic paper composite(not that useful to me).
Kirkland Columbian comes in a in a nice steel can.

It holds three pounds of coffee.

We used to buy it off Amazon...now we are Costco members.

I get Wegmans brand "Traditional". It's kind of a 'donut shop light' flavor. It's got the donut shop taste, but a little less of it than one branded as donut shop. $14/46oz.

You're a man after my own heart. One of my favorite places to go in Massachusetts is the Container Store. I also have a huge display of tempered, chemistry-ready borosilicate glassware in my apartment on show. Vessels for containment equal happy metrics and happy confinement of all manner of whatnots.

They have a 30% sale going on apparently.
You forever make me wonder if you're entirely OK....

I kinda like containers too, but my tastes are more low brow. I like looking at the different boxes, cans, drums, and crates Uline sells :^D

Back