how to fall back leaners

Some real precision felling on display there, Daniel :|: .

And it takes 21+ minutes to say, "yank the crap out of it with a machine, the rest is not worth worrying about"?

You have inspired me to add a new line to my signature.

Last edited:
Spends ten years working on video.
Neglects to take a few extra seconds to properly line up the back cut with the face cut.
I get it, it doesn't really make a big difference in the outcome but if you're putting videos out there for new folks to learn from, every effort should be made to get things as near perfect as possible. I hate to be so harsh so I'll leave you with this; you're better than Bob Villa. :D

" here I make a double cut to get the notch clean"
Nope, took you 4 tries.
Then you couldn't get the back cut level.

For a Youtube treefalling guru, you sure can't use a saw very well.

I thought Murphy4trees mentioned loggers in his video , wonder if he was referring to anyone in particular? ... Anyhoo it’s not a bad idear to look for Dutchmans and cleanup any mismatches even if it takes another minute or two. Of course , a logger who is dropping 100s of trees to a residential guys 1 SHOULD be dead nuts every time. Anything less wood be ................... uncivilized

I thought Murphy4trees mentioned loggers in his video , wonder if he was referring to anyone in particular? ... Anyhoo it’s not a bad idear to look for Dutchmans and cleanup any mismatches even if it takes another minute or two. Of course , a logger who is dropping 100s of trees to a residential guys 1 SHOULD be dead nuts every time. Anything less wood be ................... uncivilized

Murphy is not just any residental tree guy.
He is someone who apparently considers himself good enough to go out and make videos to show the World how it should be done.
So it would IMO behoove him to at least have the simple basics down.
You'll notice that I wasn't the first to point that out.

I took the liberty of looking at Daniels utube channel... seems he’s been at it for some time and has a considerable following as evidenced by 11,000 subs. Here is his liner from utube ... D2286C79-84F2-4721-A563-451E83C71F1E.png

It was a nice collage of back-lean scenarios actually, and Daniel presented, in all of them, the important parts for one to understand. He didn't miss much.

On another note I would've explained a few things differently but in the field, I know first hand, there's not much time or opportunity to present a polished script when you're trying to get a job done. Overall I found Daniels video easy to watch and knowledgeable. And I'll watch more.

Figure of speech. Apparently the Great Dane sez otherwise. He’s the Stig-ster thru and thru ... never gives credit when credit is due !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a nice collage of back-lean scenarios actually, and Daniel presented, in all of them, the important parts for one to understand. He didn't miss much.

On another note I would've explained a few things differently but in the field, I know first hand, there's not much time or opportunity to present a polished script when you're trying to get a job done. Overall I found Daniels video easy to watch and knowledgeable. And I'll watch more.
Thank you VERY MUCH ... coming from you especially. I was planning on covering center and slightly offset plunges for backleaners in part 2. And maybe a little more on pulling techniques. The customer had to move her 96 year old mother out of the house before I dropped this one. It had a significant back and side lean. And I had the worst time setting pull lines with the slingshot. Guess I'm out of practice. I'm going to get out the APTA this year. 20210317_193556.jpg

Nice job !:thumbup:
It's a bit strange to hear you saying "we don't want to take any chance". We aren't used to it.;)

I remember watching Daniel videos all those years ago. Learned what I could with an open but objective mind. Sometimes tree technique is like Holmes on Homes with an artistic or familiar technique opinion. Ask guys who build decks to critique each others work. It's like a best oil debate. I figure there's room for variations of technique, centered around the norm. Call me a moderate. :) I even watched Reg do an almost-Daniel technique I recalled from a video.

Nice job !:thumbup:
It's a bit strange to hear you saying "we don't want to take any chance". We aren't used to it.;)

I take chances with bushes and fences and some understory trees, sidewalks, curbs, and other relatively low-cost obstacles. I try to keep the chances as close to zero as possible when houses etc are involved.

I remember watching Daniel videos all those years ago. Learned what I could with an open but objective mind. Sometimes tree technique is like Holmes on Homes with an artistic or familiar technique opinion. Ask guys who build decks to critique each others work. It's like a best oil debate. I figure there's room for variations of technique, centered around the norm. Call me a moderate. :) I even watched Reg do an almost-Daniel technique I recalled from a video.

Lots of people have used my ideas, youtubers like Buckin Billy, the educated climber, and others. Plenty of people on the forums as well. I see cuts that I was the first to discuss and explain the pros and cons etc as techniques used much more often in the lexicon of tree cutting videos than they were before I presented them. And I've picked up ideas from Jerry at the house and made videos about them. I try to give credit though, which is rarely done in this biz... And I still have a few aces up my sleeve.

Hinge and its wood is stronger further out from center.
High, thin hinges hold better than low thick ones.
On bigger trees I cut the face lower cut in angle so tree stay on stump. No broken hinge. This anchor and support legs make tree stable and safer to work on. When I was logging hinges had to hold and no fibrepull or cracking.
I used triggers or heel in all leaners. Helps to ensure you have control when and how the tree fall as well as prevent the stress falling tree, tree turning, fiber pull and cracks.
I always use twice the strong cable/rope needed as weights are hard to estimate.

high hinge???

like high on the stump rather than low to the ground?

I've never seen a thin hinge hold better than a thick one. When there is lean towards a house fiber pull is your best friend.

Back