How Often Do You Change Out Hitch Cord?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was checking out my beeline after I got out the pine the other day, and noticed how much it had fuzzed up. It was virgin cord for all intents and purposes. I had only used it once before, and I shortened it a fair amount, so it wasn't grabbing the same place as before. Pretty sure it was from some drops of a few feet on the way down. Enough to feel hot on my hand.

It's fine, and has plenty of life left for me, but I'm wondering how long cord tend to last under professional use. Seemed like kind of a lot of wear for a couple hours work. Got me thinking I should maybe start using my rescue 8, just cause. Doesn't weigh much, and I already have it. Let it take the heat rather than the cord.

As much as you climb, years. As much as hardcore production climbers climb, well it all depends. If they are doing crane removals where they are rapping over and over again they will burn them up in no time, otherwise it's kinda how you climb, srt and what device, knot choice, etc. Some cords last damn near forever, i run some armor prus with a poly core so it won't fatigue in half, and i don't think i could ever wear it out. If I'm not mistaken, beeline has an kevlar core, which while very strong will abrade itself to nothing over time, requiring more frequent replacement. I still climb on my weaver cougar saddle, which came with a similar rope for the rope bridge, which was later recalled. At that point i switched all cordage i had away from the veteran and kevlar cores, and only run poly stuff, especially because with my intermittent climbing i don't want the unknown. If you really take to climbing and start doing it for real and for money, i would switch to srt and then a mechanical, the smoothness is unreal with my rrp. I ran a rope wrench for a long time tho, a definite option, but the mechanical is just so much easier imo.

Doesn't beeline abrade from the inside out tho? I don't think i have any, but i thought it was a kevlar core? Or am i confused again?

I love burning out of trees, and even doing that they last months and months of daily use.

Most of the discoloration will be coming from the climbing line not the hitch cord.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
but i thought it was a kevlar core?
You can search as well as anyone, but I figured I'd put the answer here for casual browsers or whatever, From TreeStuff...

A blended poly/Technora cover provides extra protection for the 12 strand core in this line from Yale. 5/16(8mm) Bee Line has a Vectran core and 75% Technora/25% polyester jacket. Technora fibers are heat resistant to 900. Breaking strength is 8,000 lbs.

Yup, i remembered correctly. The core will degrade by abrasion over time. Thanks John, i was busy force eating dinner, almost back to my normal weight again.

IMO if you start thinking you should replace it you should replace it. Weather it really needs it or not, piece of mind is golden.

Yea, hard to argue with that. I was just curious about lifespan. I was a little surprised at how fuzzy it got so quickly. Even if you replaced them weekly, it wouldn't be an unbearable expense unless you used spliced eyes. That could get spendy quick :^D

I was reluctant to use the beeline for awhile cause I didn't like how stiff it was. Seemed reluctant to grab. It didn't take long to get it set though. Just had to be more particular about getting everything snugged up the first time. My non heat rated Sterling would snatch up right away. It's really supple, so it snugs up quick. I'm thinking that'll be my new lanyard prusik, but I need to test it first. I have a 28' piece of Arborplex I want to use as my truck lanyard. Need to see if it all plays nice together.

Back