Holy chit, remember those insanely vicious giant asian hornets Jay told us about?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any backstory on those vids, Carl? Are they recent vids?

Just came across them on TikTok, the account's last two TikToks. Not sure where they are, but not around these parts.

Gotta have faith in your gear to go digging into those things

I once climbed a tree to set a pull wire in a full be-keeper's suit.
That was back when I had bees.

Originally, I just went up as one does, but when I encountered Hornets, I quickly ( Extremely quickly) rappelled down.
I had my bee suit in the truck, so I donned that and went up again.
The thing about an ordinary bee suit and hornets is, they hit the netting with enough force to bend it towards your face.
Sure, they can't get in, but it still scared the shit out of me.

The suits those Hornet killers are wearing, have face shield netting that is pulled very tight, in order to avoid that.

I didn't know that, thx for the heads up so i don't have a heart attack when they do that to me! I broke down and got a bee suit a couple years ago, I've used it but never had them on me that hard. And yes I'm allergic to them.

So am I.
Not to bees but to anything in the wasp family.

I didn't know that, thx for the heads up so i don't have a heart attack when they do that to me! I broke down and got a bee suit a couple years ago, I've used it but never had them on me that hard. And yes I'm allergic to them.

Allergic like you get a bad reaction or allergic like you die?

Not sure. A few years ago i got hit on my hand, and a few days later i went to the walk in clinic cause i felt like crap. They actually took a dude out of a room, pulled me in there and started giving me shots. By the third shot i felt better, but the dr told me the next time it could be nothing, or next time my throat will slam shut, we don't know. Ever since then i have had an epi pen, and have been such a puss around wasps that i haven't been stung. Before i would get stung all the time and it was never a big deal, but now i avoid them like the plague.

I get dozens of nests around the house here, in every trailer, piece of equipment, pipe, etc. So before i just pretty much left them alone, but now i wage war, and will walk around this time of year with a pump sprayer mixed with wasp kill and residual kill stuff mixed and nuke everything i see. I don't kill bees but i haven't had any either. I just nuke the wasp nests and hornets, and hit the usual spots they are always in to prevent them from nesting. I do it first thing in the morning, and as the nests get more active I'll suit up. I've been fairly lucky so far doing trees and working as a fitter, but I'm always on the lookout for them and give them a wide berth

I need to do that, surprising they didn't say anything about that, they just gave me the epi pen and that was it.

I sometimes find hornet's nest in open places in the forest, dug up and ripped apart by Honey buzzards.
Nothing left but scattered paper and a few confused Hornets.
Quite common birds in Scandinavia, in fall one can see like 20,000 on a good day at one of the prime migrating spots like Falsterbo or Stigsnæs.

I'd never heard of them much less seen one :drink:

Back