History of the Chainsaw - Not what you think.

biggun

Monkey for Hire
I spotted this on Arbtalk, linked to a UK Newspaper.

I had no idea and thought it to be pretty interesting.

Whoa! I read it...NEVER would have thought of that as the origin. Never would have thought that operation was a real thing! And used into the 1980's. Shudders is right.

Well that's just horrible.

I had my tonsils taken out when I was 29. Wasn't much to it. I was pretty much back to normal in a few days. The Dr put what like looked like a safety pin through both tonsils and tied a string to it so I didn't swallow them. He had a hot wire that he slid in from behind and burned them off and pulled them out. He showed them to me when I came to. A hundred years from now that would probably be a horror story. I guess it was state of the art at the time. I used to know an old man who remembered having his out when he was about 10. They put him to sleep and took them out. When he came to there was a note on the door telling him to lock the door when he left. It was after 5 pm and everyone left. He locked the door and walked home. I cringe to think about living 150 years ago before medicine really got going good. The civil war really helped. There was a lot of experiments and advancement during that time. War time always advances technology.

On chainsaw collectors forum we started talking of this Osteotome saw in 2006 and it pops up now and then.
I talked to some Doc's in hospital here in town as the said to have one saved in their collections but I never got to see it.

I think there was more chains with cutters like this, at this time, but my research was put on hold. I have some more leads to follow on this.

Back