Hearing Protection And Ear Wax

lxskllr

Treehouser
Y'all get loosened ear wax when using hearing protection, especially muffs? I always seem to get chunks in my ears after wearing muffs for an extended period of time. I was wearing my muffs today cause I was next to a highway. Had chunks in my ears when I got home. I can pretty much always count on it, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

If it were me I'd use muffs until they cleaned my ears out i.e. new chunks weren't coming out. Your ears shouldn't produce enough wax to continually release chunks. However, uncleaned wax can block your hearing and maybe lead to membrane damage. You might be onto something. One of my neighbour was ready to get a hearing aid until they discovered wax blockage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There aren't too many people you can ask. A group that uses a chainsaw as a regular part of life is a pretty good match.

I don't feel like my hearing's really degraded. Clean out my ears, and everything sounds about like it did before. It's all really odd.

Drip some glycerine into your ear canal for a few days, then get one of those ear bulbs and flush them out.

Last edited:
I cannot definitely correlate the muffs with wax but feel like there’s been more wax since using saws. I thought it was vibration from the saw causing it to loosen and drop

What?! :lol:

One of the guys I worked for years ago couldn't hear shit in one ear. Obviously it was due to years of chainsaws and equipment and things that go bang. The ENT pulled a plug of wax out of that ear, he said it felt like being inside a bottle when someone pulls the cork out. His hearing has been fine since.

What?! :lol:

One of the guys I worked for years ago couldn't hear shit in one ear. Obviously it was due to years of chainsaws and equipment and things that go bang. The ENT pulled a plug of wax out of that ear, he said it felt like being inside a bottle when someone pulls the cork out. His hearing has been fine since.

I had the same. My hearing was ok so I thought but when I went into the sea I always felt like there was water in my ear. After a late night of drinking and wakeboarding on the fjord I woke about 4 in the morning with the worst ear ache imaginable.

I went to the private hospital on the Monday after and they sucked shitloads of wax that was plugging my ear. The pressure release was as your friend describes, a cork popping in a bottle of fizzy.

Basically years of using ear plugs had just been pushing all the dust and buildup into a solid plug. I have the pictures but they are pretty gross, so I will spare everyone.

As for qtips? No thanks, I burst my ear drum in 1998 with one. The are not sold as ear cleaners in the UK. IIRC they are banned from being sold as such.

I get lots of wax build up and I attribute it to wearing muffs about 16 hours/day. I'm guessing due to limited air circulation

Hydrogen peroxide should dissolve it if you can get past any discomfort of the sound and sensation of fizzing in your ears. Just lay on your side and pour in peroxide, and let soak for a couple minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to get pretty bad ear infections. I think it was somehow tied to smoking. Haven't had one since I quit. I went to the clinic once where they irrigated my ear with hot water, and gave me antibiotics. I'm still pissed at myself for not asking for the enormous irrigation syringe they used. I've never seen one as big at the drugstore. I use a plastic hotsauce bottle that has a pointed nozzle, and squirt hot water in my ear with that.

Ebay. I'm sure you can find most anything if you know where it look. It's a pain finding some things on ebay because of 50,000 listings with similar parameters and abusive use of the title and description features that help you filter out results.

Warm some olive oil. I used to put it in an egg cup and then put that in a pan of simmering water. Not too hot though. Don’t ask how I know LOL

Then pippet or syringe the warm oil into your ears.

My problem I described earlier was some of the wax had obviously broken down enough to let see water in. The water got into my middle ear and just built up the pressure to the point of agony.

Ear ache is as bad as toothache imo.

Hydrogen peroxide should dissolve it if you can get past any discomfort of the sound and sensation of fizzing in your ears. Just lay on your side and pour in peroxide, and let soak for a couple minutes.
I should have used that on that damn spider that crawled in my ear. :lol:
Noisy bastid

Last edited:
Back