Green smoothies.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Anyone making smoothies, particularly the green variety? It's probably the only way I'm going to eat something like kale.

There’s a bottled one from Naked Juice that my kids like. The Green Machine. No added sugar, but the primary ingredient is apple juice, so I guess it’s sugar water still.

I tasted it, it’s not bad at all, but I don’t really drink calories.

C2E248FB-6C8E-4276-8FBD-825973238CA7.jpeg

Smoothies are an easy way to add protein powder.

I consider it, but haven't gotten to it.

My old, I mean ex-, gf had them every morning for breakfast. I got one, too, as an appetizer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These will be almost all vegetables with a little fruit. Juices are not a good thing, far better to eat the whole fruit or vegetable, even if it's been atomized in a blender.

My wife makes them frequently, good stuff

Chocolate protein powder is awesome. Nice guilt free fix for a sweet tooth.
I make popsicles out of it too, tastes like a Tootsie roll.

These will be almost all vegetables with a little fruit. Juices are not a good thing, far better to eat the whole fruit or vegetable, even if it's been atomized in a blender.
Fiber is important, and allows sugar uptake.
Juice is unnatural.

Do you know about Stevia leaf extract as a sweetener?

Just made my first smoothie.

1 cup oatmilk
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
1 cup blueberries
1 tbs ground flaxseed (made in the 8 oz blending cup attachment)
1 apple
1 banana
2 walnuts
5 ice cubes

The blueberries made it a dark green, which I expected. Tastes good, smells like apples. Filled two pint Mason jars. Quick and easy for someone who doesn't know how to cook, and just wants get on with the day. Lots of options to just use up what's handy. I'm calling it a success.

20220721_223438.jpg

When I broke my jaw, but usually I like something to chew on, not baby food.

I use frozen raspberries instead of ice cubes (which can damage some smoothie blender blades) and to add a fruity tang. Also raw broccoli and asparagus is healthy. Most of what makes up my smoothies are figs because I end up with a lot off my tree.

Dave, looks like you made a good, healthy, and filling breakfast. You even got some nuts and seeds in there! I haven’t done smoothies in a while (laziness I suppose) but do a scoop of protein powder in water instead. May not be a bad idea to add protein powder to your greens?

Why? I'm not short on protein, and one of the goals is to eliminate processed foods.

My dad has stage 4 colon cancer and I make him these Black Forest smoothies and it’s been the only thing he wants to eat consistently for the last almost 3 years.
-14oz whole milk (white or chocolate)
-1 serving of chocolate mass gainer (I normally use optimum nutrition or dymatize)
-3oz of baby spinach leaves
-2 cups of frozen dark sweet cherries

Makes 3.5 full mason jars

Todays concoction:
1c oatmilk and 1c rolled oats soaked overnight
1c kale
1c spinach
1c frozen blueberries
1 frozen banana
1c water
1tsp cinnamon
4 walnut halves
1 Brazil nut
1 piece ginger

The green stuff might look like grass clippings, but it's been a game changer. Orange stuff is carrot apple ginger lemon. Tasty, but might need straining.
20220813_201257.jpg

The green stuff looks like a kind of chutney(?) they serve at the Indian place near here.

Minty? I'm planning on trying some Indian dishes at some point.

That batch is pretty much the same as the recipe above, but more water in place of the oat milk.

Not minty. It's fairly herbal, and on the bland side, but a good subtle flavor. It's served as an appetizer with roti, and they have a chunky red something that I don't know(my favorite), and the classic brown chutney. It's in little dishes with a little spoon, and you put it on the roti. Kind of an Indian take on chips and salsa.

I'm sorry to hear that. This hasn't been easy, but it's better than the alternative. I sure do like a good cheeseburger or a greasy pizza, but that's not a recipe for a long healthy life.

Everything in moderation. Once you've thoroughly broken the habit of chronic consumption, you may be able to have the occasional pizza without immediately wanting another one.

Back