GMC 366

• Thread starter Climbinfool.
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 3K
C

Climbinfool.

I have a GMC 366 tall block in my chip truck. Anybody have a good working knowledge of these engines or a decent web site to go to? It also has a Rochester TBI carb. on it that I'm having a hard time finding info on. Injectors flutter just above idle point but then clear up after that. trying to find out whats causing it.

Give Max a call at Integrity Mobile. he works on those trucks almost every day. 425-275-3465

The 366 if I'm not mistaken was the only big block Chevy ever made using that specific type of block. It was designed as a truck engine right from the on set .

It might have been GMC's answer to a 371 Ford .Whatever, it is a powerfull old gasser .

Tom replaced a 350 with a 366 in an old chip hauler he had .Everything bolted up with no problem .

I'm surprised we don't see more threads on the 366 engine. Id be willing to gamble and say its one of the most widely used engines in tree work. Trucks that is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At least they used to be. They don't make that motor anymore. You have to buy all after market parts. There are a lot of them running around though.I would like to know if there is a diesel motor comparable that would take its place. Gas in those 366 are guzzlers. I would probably double my mileage and defiantly get more torque.

The 427 truck motor shared the same block design if I remember correctly. Both had gear driven cams. And I seem to remember intakes and cranks interchanging.
The 427 was quite common in school buses around here.

Which model do I look at?

Glad to say I hate the 427 and am finally all diesel in my trucks

From what I can find they ran a two barrel injector. So most likely the same injector from the 1988-on 350 pickup motors til they started multi port FI.

I don't much about gassers after the 80 electronics :barf: My interests went to diesel pretty early on

Back